Body, Paint & Styling Broken tailgate strut

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Stuart, Saturday 13th Sep, 2014.

1. Stuart Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi All,

'54 diesel Tourer Exec. The attachment of the nearside tailgate strut to the hinge has broken; it broke when swmbo was using the motorised tailgate closing. :Frown:

I've managed to remove the strut and the general consensus is the strut's seized, which was why something broke. A search of the www didn't turn up anything specific so have I just been unlucky?

Also on-line, struts only appear to be available in pairs, although Honda's happy to sell me just one ... at £84+ :shock: Recommended source(s) of pattern and/or second-hand spares?

While I'm asking for a source of second-hand spares, the car came with a bottle of puncture sealer but without a jack or wheelbrace. Usual, or the last owner kept 'em when he sold the car?

Thanks for any assistance.

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Can't help with the tailgate, I've got a saloon.
    There should have been a jack and brace. Have you contacted the previous owner?
  3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  4. Stuart Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for replying.

Not yet but, now that I know there should be a jack and brace, I will.

Rats! :Frown:

The contents of the guide I knew pretty much anyway, from removing the broken strut.

A related question I should've included in my first post ...

... As NVS noted in the guide, the threaded balls at each end of a strut are screwed in pretty tight. Where my left one has broken off, the thread is broken flush with the surrounding surface of the hinge; it's a blind hole so no chance of getting at the remains from the other end. As it's tight, I'm loath to try an Easy-Out because, if that breaks, there are few other options. Any other thoughts on broken thread removal?

Otoh, that broken/seized struts are unusual means I'm even happier to try a breaker for a second-hand one;, anyone recommend a breaker they've been pleased to deal with?

Once again, thanks for your help.

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
  6. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Was jack and brace and spare wheel not an option? My handbook mentions them and the pump and can of sealer.