Suspension, Steering and Brakes Brown ring on rear brake disc

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by SpeedyGee, Wednesday 15th Aug, 2012.

1. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    What's causing this brown ring .. binding pads/stuck calliper?

531071_369996099738789_970407054_n.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    What car is that off ? On the 7th Generation Tourer is there is a 2mm outer circumference rust lip as the pads don't make any contact with that area. On closer inspection the pad surface area in just below that 2mm lip. I would say the caliper is not sat right at one point or the bottom slider is jammed for the pad to be tugged to one side causing that lip..

Replace both pads and disc and bed them in and then it needs to be given the occasional heavy braking treatment to get the curd off.

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

It's my '04 CL9.

I'll take a look at it this evening.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Are those pads and disc aftermarket bud?

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

'fraid so :-(

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Call Lee at HH tell I sent ya from here , be prepared to be blown away with the prices why buy aftermarket with hit and miss relaibility.

SpeedyGee likes this.
  7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

CJ, I've just realised that we maybe both looking at a different issue. I was asking about the the brown ring around the bottom half of the braking surface.

Sounds like you were talking about the lip on the edges.

8. Jon_G Guest

That is an interesting mark and - worryingly - appears to be a similar stain colour to the copaslip grease liberally daubed all over the wheel hub! Putting two and two together (always risky), maybe you should see if you can wipe the mark off the disc using a cloth lightly drizzled with petrol, but do it carefully away from contact with other brake components. Also check that the edges of the pads haven't built up a layer of 'contaminant' as well, but use a dry cloth here when cleaning. And definitely wipe off the excess stuff from the hub.

The rust lip is a little excessive, however in general your disc looks a lot better my rears.

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Jon, thanks for your thoughts. I can tell you that it's not the grease. The grease on the front stops the wheel sticking to the disc thereby making it easy to take off. This was applied almost two years ago when the after market pads and discs were put on.

It may have been rust debri fallen off the rim of the disc and having gotten wedged in the pad. Although the pad didn't have any scortch marks that you would have expected if this had happened.

I didn't get chance last night to have a look into this any further.

Last edited: Thursday 16th Aug, 2012
  10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Actually sorry the discs and pads are nearly three years old as I replaced them when I got the car back in November '09.

Maybe (as CJ suggests) its time for a new set.