Engine & Gearbox bubbling noise

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Rhys, Friday 1st Mar, 2013.

1. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Hello this is my first post. I have not long got myself a nice looking 2000 VTEC s 1.8 and one thing I have noticed is a strange bubbling or gurgling noise coming from what sounds like behind the dash ? It seems to happen on deceleration as I turn round at the top of my street. Not sure what this is and is it a serious problem or an easy solution ?
    Last edited: Friday 1st Mar, 2013
  2. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Sounds like air in the heater matrix.
  3. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ok thanks for the reply appreciate it. I'll look in to it
  4. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

What's the best way to get rid of the air ?
  5. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

There will be a procedure for bleeding the air at coolant change, I don't know it for your model but someone on here will.
  6. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ok hopefully someone who knows the correct procedure will reply. I've made the big mistake of googling the the issue and I've read horror stories of it possibly being head gasket issues !!! Hope it's not lol
  7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    To bleed the cooling system you can follow this procedure, you don't need the big funnelly thing, just keep topping up the radiator when the water drops a bit

If you can find a bleed nipple follow this video :-

Bubbles being generated by engine could be a head gasket issue, try the air bleed and if you still get the issue, get a leak down test or a sniff test done.
  8. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I know the car was sat for about 2/3 months before I bought it and I know that can cause a build up of air in the system and I really hope it is that and not head gasket !! Thank you so much for all the advice im not that mechanically minded but I'll give anything a go