Off-Topic Budget 2014

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by cred, Wednesday 19th Mar, 2014.

1. cred Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    Thoughts... opinions.... etc?

2. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well off the top of my head..

Bingo tax at 10% - what's the point?
    Taxes from homes owned by firms above 500k instead of 2 million is actually a good one, more tax for the govt + it may reduce house prices ever slightly
    Cash + Shares ISA again seems like a good one, a much higher limit + no faffing about like before
    Not being forced to buy an annuity - best policy by far, although I heard it's wiped off 3.1billion off the top 5 pension firms in the UK
    £1 coin - bit late but welcomed
    200M for potholes - surely that's not enough, plus who's gonna do it because chances are it'll be given to local councils who will contract expensive firms to do it for them
    Fuel duty not going up - good
    Premium bonds cap increase is also a good one - with these interest rates the draw can provide a much better ROI

EDIT: Forgot the export loan one - that's an excellent idea, hopefully it isn't exploited by firms overstating value of goods and then purposely not getting paid hence the govt losing the money, definitely some thought needed into that scheme to avoid fraud.

Last edited: Wednesday 19th Mar, 2014
  3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Why didn't the chancellor say no more foreign aid we for once will look after ourselves? that in itself will fix a lot of roads

4. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Not possible, Cameron pledged to give 0.7% of our GDP as foreign aid, plus if he backs out of it now then diplomatic ties would be broken, bloody politics.

That said UKIP were demanding that those funds were used to help flood victims, then understandably many others get on the bandwagon forgetting all the good done by the foreign aid a few months ago in the Philippines! All this anti aid propaganda is just spew from the Mail and Express ¬¬

5. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I agree that the amount given in foreign aid is probably dwarfed by the amount of business it probably generates back, although who profits from said business who knows. Thing is, I don't think the Government would give away money if there was nothing in return - there's always be someone earning out of it!

6. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

As far as I know, the govt would give to charities and its own local quangos overseas. Personally I think the overseas quangos are useful because it gives the money directly to people in need without the middle man, plus the employees would usually be British citizens earning a normal wage. Charities on the other hand are just big business disguised, they give directors 100k+ for their work which is despicable, I assume some of their salary would be used as a kick back to the govt officials?

Pure speculation of course...

7. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland

Not sure if it is speculation as there's been many a report in the papers where Charity Directors' have been exposed with their disproportionate salaries! I believe the Help for Heroes charity is meant to be honest, I'm sure there are others.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10224104/30-charity-chiefs-paid-more-than-100000.html :Rant:

8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Screw the rest of it:

:Happy:

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I know my first gen no more road tax yahoo!!

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  10. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Politically I think it was a very shrewd budget - and with the economic indicators pointing in the right direction it is getting increasingly hard for Labour to challenge the Government. Not that Ed Balls HAS any right to challenge the Government on economic policy - IMHO he'll be replaced before the election :beer . Can't stand the guy. To be fair, I'm not keen on Osbourne either...

Pension policy is a stroke of genius, the ISA increases a good move too. Should appeal to a lot of undecided centre ground voters, but we should remember that with the constituency boundaries unchanged it will be VERY difficult (if not impossible) for the Conservatives to win a majority. Unless Scotland votes for independence...

Foreign aid is a really tricky one. I'm in favour as it goes, but only if it does really go to those countries and people where needed. India with a space programme costing billions as an example is just madness. MADNESS, I say :Rant: We should be able to afford 0.7% of GDP regardless of our own situation, AND find money for the floods, roads etc. In my opinion, it doesn't need to be an "either /or" decision.

11. cred Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    Tories have certainly got my attention with their monetary policies whether or not these policies have anything to do them but seems to be turning the economy around.

12. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That's because they're actually listening to economists for once, not hot aired bullshit spewing politicians. Personally I'm hoping they get re-elected and hopefully the pensions rule will help them gain a good share of the voters.

13. cred Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    Yes, it seems like the pensions rule will be getting them a lot of support. Secondly, I reckon getting debts upon debts never helps anyone and people as well as the government should learn to spend only what they actually have so a budget surplus in that respect will be very good (if it ever happens).

14. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I agree about the debt issues but when reducing debt comes at the expense of quality of life then I highly doubt we'll see a decline. No government would tolerate a current/future generation having worse living conditions than the previous generation. As long as the UK maintains its international competitiveness in the service sector all should be well.