Off-Topic Build Cars Live

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by exec, Thursday 22nd Oct, 2015.

1. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
  2. Alexknight91 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Alex Norwich
    Saw the second one last night, they had a pretty cool over engineered machine for tightening all 5 wheel nuts at once lol

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
  4. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    Just one big advert for mini

5. Euan Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I was meaning to watch this. Hopefully it is on iplayer

6. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I had to stop watching after 2 minutes...

7. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I thought it was excellent...but then I am a 'bit' of a MINI fan and went to that factory to see my Cooper built (born?!) in 2004.

8. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I turned on just in time to watch James May fail to do up a bolt correctly (despite having the most impressive positional jig I've ever seen!) before he had to give up because the assembly line needed to move on. I felt an oddly unpleasant sense of stress and boredom.

I guess I just switched on at the wrong moment!

9. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    no, it was like watching paint dry, I "watched" the first one, and intermittently some of the second one, it was dire. They also kept switching to different marques for "and here we take a look to see how abc does xyz". Whoever thought that James May and Kate Humble could make it interesting was on LSD when they came up with those two and added that "Ant" bloke (not from ant and dec, some other ant)

10. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Not good reviews then, havent watched it yet, do they show Honda?

11. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

if they did in the 1st one, my eyes had glazed over at that point, and in the 2nd one my TV looked like it had developed some AI and was pixelating (or maybe it was my eyes again), so I kept channel hopping, so I couldn't say for sure. There was a bit of utter bilge on Morgan woodwork and Aston door mechanisms, might have been a few others but my brain refuses to recall any more. Maybe I dreamed it all, there didn't seem much difference.

I just had a thought, maybe the Ant bloke and Kate Humble will be in the new Top Gear, heck maybe the whole thing was a prequel to the new Top gear. Other than that, JM & KH must be on a retainer and so BBC used it to shove them into a car factory.

edit: I just worked out that 3 hours of the TV licence fee = 5p ....so I could have bought a carrier bag at Tesco instead, which would have been far more useful

12. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I'd watch it and see what you think @exec

Like I said above, I found it quite enjoyable. James May has a very easy style, and the programme didn't get mired in lots of desperately dull technical details.

Instead they tried to tell a story, and show things that viewers might find interesting.

I'd never normally watch anything that looks like it is about 'engineering' or 'science' as those subjects just hold no interest for me - this kept the focus mainly on the car side of things, and at a high level.

Last edited: Monday 26th Oct, 2015
    exec likes this.
  13. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

A fish-finger factory might also be a good one too, or Corn Flakes, or Kate Humble could do some sorting in a recycling plant. Maybe the cranes loading containers onto ships would be good. When you think about it, there's loads of types of machinery and plant for the BBC to try next on their low budget.

edit: for the same 5p you can watch a stunning 3-part series on The Celts, with Alice Roberts and Neil Oliver
    BBC iPlayer - The Celts: Blood, Iron and Sacrifice with Alice Roberts and Neil Oliver - Episode 1
    BBC iPlayer - The Celts: Blood, Iron and Sacrifice with Alice Roberts and Neil Oliver - Episode 2
    BBC iPlayer - The Celts: Blood, Iron and Sacrifice with Alice Roberts and Neil Oliver - Episode 3

then compare the budget that was used, and the quality of the product

Last edited: Sunday 25th Oct, 2015
  14. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

All I can think about now @jimjams is the episode of The Simpsons where they go on the trip to the box factory...

:Laughing:

Zebster likes this.
  15. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

^ that's probably where the BBC got the idea from, if they had used music in the final edit, it would have been very similar to this

16. Euan Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

There was some decent bits, though admittedly not enough to fill the program. The full size clay model being milled was pretty cool.