Electrical & Lights Bulbs....

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Baz, Friday 17th May, 2013.

1. Baz Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Noticed on the way home from work in the early hours of this morning, that my N/S dipped-beam headlamp was out....Decided to have a look this morning, and yes, the H1 bulb had blown....As it happened, I had a new one in the shed, so with a bit of swearing, and the removal of some skin from my hands, I now have two working headlights again!

Then I looked at the O/S....How on earth is anyone ever supposed to change a bulb on that side? At the very least, it looks like I'd have to remove the washer reservoir....Please, any owners out there who have had an O/S dipped-beam bulb blow, reassure me that changing a bulb doesn't necessitate the dismantling of the front of the car?

It is a constant source of annoyance and bewilderment to me, that it this day and age, merely changing a bulb should be so complicated....When I think back to some of my earlier cars, there must have been about two feet of space to get at the back of the lights....Now, two inches seems too much to ask! :Angry:

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    You'll find that on all modern cars. Engines and other systems are much more complex than what they use to be, so it's all crammed in.

I bet back in the days, in some cars you could have stood in the engine bay :Smile:

3. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    This was one of the best things about my 2005 Ford Mondeo, you simply pulled out two clamps with your hands and the whole headlight unit would slide out giving you full access to the back of it for changing bulbs.

4. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I had a similar situation changing the full beam on the N/S of my 6th Generation. I had to take the battery loose and remove the radiator overflow bottle to get to that !! Access the the indicator bulbs isn't exactly easy either ! Having to go in through the wheel arch and removing the lining to get access

5. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Baz, the washer bottle neck comes off to change the OS bulb.

6. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yes the bottle neck comes off just make sure you have a spanner with you!

7. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Google the last shape Renault megane xenon bulb change :-o and you will love the Accord again, lol.

8. Baz Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well that is a thoughtful piece of design at least....Still doesn't leave a great deal of room for my hands, but it should be manageable! :Thumbup:

I used to have a Megane, and you're right, that was even worse....It still niggles me though, that such a basic operation has to be so fiddly! :Unknown:

9. ACC-CDI-2T Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Cologne
    ... so never buy a Audi A3: 1 bulb - 2 men --> 90 min - unbelievable :Crazy::

Last edited by a moderator: Saturday 22nd Feb, 2014
    SpeedyGee likes this.
  10. jjazzza Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

its £65 to change a audi bulb

11. ACC-CDI-2T Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Cologne
    ... there is only one effective way out ... in future, new cars without a "max. 5 min - easy to replace feature for main bulbs" should not get a MOT- approval !! (my opinion)

Last edited: Tuesday 28th May, 2013
  12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Until it legislation I can't see that ever happening!

13. ACC-CDI-2T Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Cologne
    ... yes, thats right :Unknown: ... but it would be also great and helpful manufacturers would already keep the current ECE - 48 regulation --> 5.23: "Lamps shall be fitted in a vehicle in such a way, that the light source can be correctly replaced without the need of expert assistance and without the need for special tools ...."

-->see: ECE-48.pdf

14. mrjolly Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

thats pretty deep info there ACC , i bet there a least 10 cars out there which do not adhere to that. I've heard of £100 bills to change bulbs , i wonder what trading standards would say if you went in with a copy of those regs and a bill like that for changing a bulb.... i'd give it a try!

15. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    back in the day you got a hernia every time you had to replace a battery in an MG - trust me!!!