General Bulk oil question, best before date?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jd1959, Saturday 20th Dec, 2014.

1. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Now I hope most of us are trying our best to go with the 0w-20 with some degree of success. I have been looking around here (IRL) for a full spec 0w-20 oil that is a little bit easier on the wallet per oil change. To that end I am considering buying in bulk (with the possibility of splitting cost with a few other folks). Now the question I have. How long will a fully synthetic oil last sitting in a closed but previously opened container in the shed? Will it oxidize or 'go off' like many of the other petroleum products? Only luck I've had is sourcing a 208l drum (price unknown for the moment). If I can divide it 4 ways still leaves me with 52L; with approx 4L per change twice a year it will need to sit there for about 6 years possibly more as I don't do an awful amount of miles at the moment. Its a lot of cash to loose if the oil gets contaminated or becomes unusable and given my liking of Honda I'm sure at least one car in the household will use the oil in time.

Any thoughts or ideally study's folks have run across?

2. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I've noticed that Cox Motor Parts don't do Mobile 1 0W20 anymore but they are doing Castrol Edge 0W20 for £8.98 excluding the vodka and tonic per litre if you buy four litres at a time. Not sure what Holdcroft Honda will do it for. I previously bought Mobil 1 0W20 from the Lubricant company for about £10 per litre with a minimum order of 12 litres. At these prices it's excellent value for money :Smile:

Had a look at Opie Oils but couldn't find anything reasonably prices. Not keen on their new website but may just need some time to get used to it.

3. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    I've found it on the UK sites for reasonable prices as well, problem is I'm in Rep of Ireland if shipping costs are fair I have no problem with those prices usually increases the cost per liter significantly.

I've found the Mobil 1 for 27euro/L and Total Quarts 9000 GF-5 0w-20 5L for 57 euro including shipping from Germany (don't know about spec haven't been digging). I can get the 208L barrel of Mobil 1 for euro 1653.53 which works out at 7.95/L. Most of the time when I ask in a motor-factors I get shown the Honda sheet that states 10w-40 is fine or shown a 30 euro liter bottle, but the difference in engine sound and fuel economy and general vehicle happiness is noticeable. Frequently I wind up with 0w-30 or 5w-20 due to availability and cost. I'll check with the dealer and see if he might do a deal on a full box, but last time I was in he said they always use 10w-40 except in the hybrids.

I don't mind spending as long as the economy of scale work out with a significant savings in the long run and the products get used. I guess my years growing up in the States still show, I buy coal by the ton, fruit and veg by the box, and meat by the carcass. It usually works out well except when applied to my love of whiskey....:beer

4. Mr Honda Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Dublin
    Ask a Honda dealer about 0w-20. They should be able to get it in 1 litre, 4 litre, or 205L drums! They're really quite reasonably priced too. Certainly I haven't paid more than €40 for 4 litres of 0w-20 when I get my service kit from them.

Honda Ireland - Honda Genuine Oils & Fluids

As for the shelf life, I'm not so sure of that??

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I would personally say 6 months should be the actual shelf life but one year is tops.

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    With mineral oils there was a far shorter shelf life than modern synthetics, I know quite a few brands state up to 5 years if unopened and still sealed - I wouldn't keep a resealed drum more than a couple of years.

Mobil 1 0w-20 tends to cost me about £10 per litre. I recently used Honda 0w-20 (Total), I'd edge the Mobil slightly, but Honda was only about £18 for 4 litres (£4.50) with club discount, though prices do fluctuate so check with @Holdcroft Honda.

I'd buy maybe 12-16 litres at a time based on two changes of 4L a year.

7. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Thanks for you thoughts I was thinking it would be left sitting about for far too long.

I'll check with a few of the dealers here for pricing and compare with Holdcroft with shipping, When I get the new RG1 in I'll need to do all the filters and fluids to know its all been done and start over with my own known maintenance schedule. I'll get a list put together when it comes in and fire off an email to see where we stand. Depending on the weight and courier company the shipping can be quite reasonable and the savings substantial. I like to support the local economy but when you feel rather fleeced by the pricing I have no qualms with looking elsewhere.

8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Slightly off topic @jd1959, but I should be ordering my import in about 10 days too, when she arrives I'll be doing the exact same thing with full fluid overhauls, strip/clean and replace any worn brake components, get her under-sealed etc. to start my new service history. It would be good if you documented it all in a build log so we can compare notes and what not :Smile:

Nighthawk likes this.
  9. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Slightly on topic but is there any development with the online service and repair log we were talking about before?

10. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Yes I've been delving into it deeper with a developer friend, but he's pretty tied up at the moment. It's definitely on-the-cards, but there's a few bits going on at the moment so it's not been a priority.

11. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    I was planning to keep up to date with it, I may start a new thread over in project logs and bounce ideas as to what is on the docket. Hope your purchase goes without problem, the waiting is the most difficult part. I'm looking forward to seeing what you decide on.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  12. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Shelf life for oil? - never thought of that! I didn't know it "went off".
    I bought 25l of Exol Ultima almost 2 years ago and still have enough for at least one more change - will it be OK?

13. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Just spotted the new entry, she looks gorgeous! Can't wait to see more shots of the interior and the like. I'm itching to get the car ordered, let alone the wait for her to be shipped across, patience isn't my virtue :Laughing:

If it's synthetic, I wouldn't worry too much - if it's mineral or semi-synthetic, I'd imagine it has an expiry date listed anyway :Smile:

FR-V likes this.
  14. Eck Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

As quoted elsewhere in an oil subject, from Castrol source which I imagine will be the same for all reputable oils;