Intake System Bungee throttle

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by NottsBiker, Sunday 5th Oct, 2014.

1. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    Hi All,

Thought I'd check with the collective genius of the forum about this query.

My throttle response from idle on my 2.4 is terrible and impossible to operate smoothly. When you gently put your foot down there feels like a bungee cord effect between it and the throttle body.

I can only guess that this is something to do with the fly by wire system but as this is my first car with this system I thought I'd check.

Can it be fixed or do I just have to live with it?

Ben

2. ACC-CDI-2T Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Cologne
    Hi,

it could be possible, that your APP-Sensor (Accelarator Pedal Position Sensor) is defective.
    Have it checked, often failure code "P2135" appears in this case. The sensor is nothing else than
    a potentiometer, its easy to change, but not a cheap affair ( ~ 190 £)

3. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    Haven't had any fault codes show up on Torque so far but I'll check it out thanks.

Crazy price for one small part.

I wonder if I'm being overly critical. ...

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Start by disconnecting the negative for 15 minutes which will force the ECU to relearn the throttle position next time you start the car, you want to leave it idling for a good 5 minutes or so. See how that goes to begin with.

While 1st can be very sensitive, generally the K24s in the lower/mid-band are quite soft on the sensitivity. There's quite heavy throttle padding and the pedal to throttle ratio is actually mapped well under up until just before the point of WOT. - making it more sensitive is actually one of the desired affects of remapping, straight 1:1 as it's most predictable. I'd say the behaviour isn't normal.

I doubt there's an issue with the throttle wire itself, so the sensor @ACC-CDI-2T mentioned is the next most likely candidate. I reckon you can pick one up for £20-40 from a breaker.

5. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    Good tip there mate I'll give that a go and report back.

Thanks

6. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    Tried it but got no change what so ever.

Thinking it may be a sticky throttle body add had this on my warrior before and had to strip and clean all the carbon out

7. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Pull the intake hose off and you'll be able to see the throttle plate condition pretty quickly :Smile:

8. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    Why did I get a new car just as we are going into the winter lol with so many small jobs that I'd like to do and no garage to do them in :Frown:

9. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I'm the same man, I'm dreading a few upcoming jobs which I never managed to get finished before summer ended :Laughing:

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Bud without looking at your car, its hard to make a direct comparison and then troubleshoot the symptom.. its not going to be worth diagnosing this fault by here TBH. you are based in Notts any chance coming 70 miles up north? I can look it for you FOC.

NottsBiker likes this.
  11. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    Thanks for the offer but it's too far too travel for such a minor niggle. Driving today it feels like something is momentarily sticking and I'm having to put more pressure on than normal leading to a jerking effect to overcome it. Guessing body or cable at fault.

12. westcorkaccord Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

VW-Honda Ireland
    Does anybody have a wiring diagram for this APP. There is six wires connected to it. Normally a potentiometer would have three wires into it. If I can not get a wiring diagram I will bell it out

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I think it actually has two sensors/tracks, you'd need a oscilloscope to check it properly.

I'm not sure if theres a PID for it, I guess there must be so you maybe able to check values via an OBD reader and look for sudden jumps (or dips) as you gently press the accelerator pedal.