Engine & Gearbox Burning plastic smell

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by leofwen, Tuesday 18th Dec, 2012.

1. leofwen Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I bought a 58 plate 2.2dti tourer a few weeks ago. On my last two journeys I noticed a smell like hot burning insulation. The smell was not obvious whilst driving, but on the first occasion was when I got back in the car, the second time was when I opened to boot. Worried about the fire risk I had the car checked over by my local dealer (Gordon's in Wigan) great service checking without an appointment.
    They could not find any problems and suggested that it could be the smell of the DPF cleaning itself. It does not smell like diesel.

Does anyone have experience like this, can you smell burning when the DPF cleans itself.

all is working ok and no warning lights.

thanks

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hello and welcome to AOC yes when the car is regenerating, be that forced or naturally it smells like a few rotten pigs.

Have a look at this thread http://hondakarma.com/threads/26/

if this pipe is cracked it will smell so get it checked out by your dealers and if it is the pipe then you should not pay a penny.

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  3. leofwen Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The smell wasn't in the engine bay. Do you know if the exhaust smells a bit like a burning clutch (which it wasn't) when the DPF is cleaning itself?

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Well its sort of clutch burning but more nastier it stinks it unbearable. I have pity for technicians how have to do this as their jobs.

5. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Any updates on this leofwen?did you find out what was it that's causing the smell?

6. leofwen Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

No more than you see above. It's not always there so regeneration of the DPF sounds a reasonable cause. The smell does seem worse around the tailpipe.

7. rhinogolf Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

york
    I used get this smell on my I-CTDI i did post about it in the end i think it just went away, i think i thought it smelt like burning plastic

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Most probably a plastic bag which was caught on the exhaust downpipe and was slowly melting away.

9. leofwen Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Sorry, but as i said in my first posting, I have had the car checked by a honda dealer. No plastic bags anywhere.

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I had quoted rhinogolf post, :Hey:I was not reflecting on your issue in such. Do you still have this issue ?

11. leofwen Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes. The car will go for several days OK, and then the horrible smell returns. I have been told that it is the DPF regenerating, but i understand that the engine has to be hot to do that and yesterday the smell came strongly the moment i started the car and before engine operating temperatures had been reached. Surely a correct process like DPF regeneration should not smell so much even in the car. The smell is so pungent it burns my nose.

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I suggest you need to get a second opinion , if you can travel to Holdcroft Honda or at Phoenix close Honda and let them asses the situation.

13. leofwen Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for that, but why do you recommend these particular garages. Phoenix isn't a Honda dealer?

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    They are options you don't have to use them its for you to get to the bottom of this issue.

15. leofwen Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Why particularly those companies and not just any franchised Honda dealer? Are you of the opinion that Honda are trying to bury a known problem?

16. rhinogolf Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

york
    You will find inchiban is trying to give you options of good garages that have excellent feedback from the forum members

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    There is no conspiracy theories, backhanders, cover up,scams, or another hidden agenda, I will again stress its your car its your money you can use anyone you like. our advise is free you can use it or ignore it the choice is yours.