Tools Bush removal tools

Discussion in 'Tools & Equipment' started by rayhoop, Wednesday 3rd Apr, 2013.

1. rayhoop Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Keerat Amersham
    Now now boys - I'm not talking about razors... or blow torches for those of you who like it rough...

Has anyone here used bush removal hand tools to change their own suspension bushes? E.g. Laser Tools | 5178 | Bearing/Bush Removal/ Insertion Kit

There does not seem to be a Honda specific kit (other than for the CR-V rear arm bush). A friend has this 'universal' kit and before I think about proceeding with the job, I was wondering if anyone here has any experience of the bushes on the 7 Gen.

What tool kits did you use? What size sleeves did you use? Were there any bushes that you did not have the correct size sleeve for?

Ultimately, if I can't get a bush out, I'll pop down to a local garage with the part to press it out/in for me - but it is worth knowing in advance for planning purposes.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You need a proper table vice for bush pulling if you going to use that tool. you cannot do that on the street without one that the only caveat.

Normally you would take you bush to your local garage with a press and ask them to press it out and push the new one in for 15 quid.

3. rayhoop Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Keerat Amersham
    Table vice/clamp - correct. Thanks for reminding me.
    I think the local garage option will be easier.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  5. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I was watching an old wheeler dealers the other night and I saw the guy take out a bush using a home made device ! Can't remember what he used but it was the episode where they did up an old fiat dino if you can look up old episode's of wheeler dealers it might be worth a look :Smile:

6. rayhoop Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Keerat Amersham
    Yeah, I've done that in the past. You can use a socket set, a long bolt (old head bolts work well), a nut that fits onto the long bolt and some large washers. You need some pretty large sockets to 'receive' the bush into, but it all depends if the sockets you have will fit through the hole in the wishbone etc... and if the bolt you use will fit through the middle of the socket.

Getting a bush removal tool kit (albeit expensive) ensures you have a variety of sizes to hand to make the job easier.

The other method is bashing the worn rubber part of the bush out of the metal sleeve then using a hammer/chisel to cave the sleeve in away from the wishbone (to reduce friction) and then tapping it out... or use a dremel to cut a slot in the sleeve and then bend it away and out of the wishbone.

Using a press type tool is much neater though. Less chance of bashing your thumb to bits with a hammer or slicing your fingers open with a dremel!

7. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Good little trick if it all works and you have the right bits :Smile:

8. rayhoop Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Keerat Amersham
    Hammering to get a bush out is usually quite tedious. Plus you risk damaging the wishbone.

9. MattyB801 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Once you've got a bush/bearing tool, then you'll save a packet on future DIY jobs...it's just biting the bullet and buying this set of kit. It can be a very rewarding job too! Or maybe tats just me...

10. srad34 Banned ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I do a lot of servicing for folk I know but I don't have a press, but I luckily have a friend with one so I give him the part and the new bush and tadaaa, its fitted for the price of a beer!
    Its not what you know...etc