Buying 2nd Generation Jazz

Discussion in '2nd Generation (2001-2008)' started by Davej5, Friday 15th May, 2015.

1. Davej5 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dave Cornwall
    Hi guys I am looking for a new second hand car for my parents and have found a 2005 Jazz SE 1400 manual can anyone let me have pointers on what to look for, or any common problem areas? More generally I assume it is best to avoid the early CVTs and their problems?

Thanks Dave

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Can't think of any major issues with the 2nd Generation Jazz's

Hopefully some current Jazz owners can put their experiences forward to help you.

3. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Just to give this thread a bump - although I'd assume as @SpeedyGee says the silence indicates that there aren't any major issues :Smile:

^^As somebody who only drives automatic cars, this has always put me off older Honda CVTs. I assume the issue is the "judder" on pull away that I've read about elsewhere? I also assume that the same issue can affect the previous Logo CVTs?

@Beefy - I've read that the CVT issue can be resolved by a flush and change of the transmission fluid. True?

4. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    I know the early Jazz's suffered from gearbox bearing issues, but I believe this was later resolved

Otherwise, they are absolutely bullet proof

5. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    Manual gearboxes can be prone to main shaft bearings being noisey. CVT the judder is from the start clutch. 9 times out of 10 flushing through with two lots of CVT fluid cures it but some the judder is persistent or returns and it means replacing the start clutch.

FirstHonda likes this.
  6. Busa1340r Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Yate
    Rear hub bearings are also prone to grumbling, usually from about 60-70k miles. relatively cheap to replace though....
    - - - Updated - - -
    Ooh I forgot.......check for water ingress into boot/spare wheel well too. Usually signified by excess misting of windows.

7. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^ Thanks @Beefy

Sounds as though it isn't something that should put me off if, for instance, I saw a nice early Jazz or Logo with the CVT gearbox...:Whistle:

8. Busa1340r Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Yate
    Depends on your point of view.

Flushing the CVT fluid on our 2007 Jazz didn't sort the judder out fully, however I believe that to replace the start clutch is £1000 +. Personally, if we are looking at approx 1/4 to 1/5th of the value of the car
    - - - Updated - - -
    Depends on your point of view.

A CVT fluid flush did not sort out the judder entirely on our 57 plate Jazz,, although it did seem to improve to a degree. My thing is - do you spend (I believe) upwards of £1000, roughly 1/5 to 1/4 the value of the car on something that is a minor irritation?

If it had a manual box and could be fixed for a few hundred, I would probably still wait until it started to slip or groan before replacing it just to cure a judder.

If however you are a complete perfectionist.......

FirstHonda likes this.
  9. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^You are right, that does put a bit of a different perspective on things!

10. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    £1000? for start clutch replace? ime a bit out of touch with prices but it sounds a tad steep to me?

11. Busa1340r Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Yate
    OK, Just to qualify..,I did put "I believe" in my post.

My reasoning being as follows....

A quick google could not find anybody giving a UK price for the job, but did find a quote from New Zealand for $2000 NZD which converts to about £950 at current rates.

Also,

Lings want £542 for the starter clutch assembly (I appreciate you may be able to get a discount, but for Joe Public....) plus labour for gearbox out (£300+ I am guessing at a dealer) plus oil , plus consumables etc etc. £950 - £1000 doesn't seem too far off?

All a sight more than having a manual box clutch replaced.....

12. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    The CVT in the Mobilio (same as Jazz/fit) never gave any trouble as long as I had it in any case, keep up on fluid changes on or ahead of schedule, if there is judder walk away. It might be sorted with a repeated flush drain (fluid isn't cheap) also there is a procedure for burnishing the clutches as well for some of the earlier CVT, TSB somewhere, or it might be a whole lot more expensive. I wouldn't have issue with buying another Honda CVT with a reasonable amount of miles on it as long as it drove well without the slightest judder from a hill start.

13. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The only reason CVT gearboxes go wrong on Jazz's is because Kwikfit/Halfords "full services" don't include gearbox fluid changes.

FirstHonda and Nighthawk like this.
  14. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

:Aghast:

I think the expression is something along the lines of, "Penny wise but pound foolish." Not that I think Halfords etc. are actually that much cheaper, if at all...

15. Davej5 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dave Cornwall
    Maybe the CVT is not as bad as I thought, but with my parents being on a budget, living on a pension, I don't want them having big bills they cannot afford.

FirstHonda likes this.
  16. Davej5 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dave Cornwall
    Well I picked up a 2004 1.4 SE yesterday bodywork is a bit battered but it drives great so I just need to tidy the body work a bit.

Nighthawk and FirstHonda like this.
  17. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Congratulations @Davej5 :Smile:

Looking forward to seeing some pictures and how it progresses.

18. Davej5 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dave Cornwall
    OK I put a couple of photos in the garage. Today I spent an hour refurbishing the headlights they are still not perfect but they are much better than they were.