Pre-Purchase Buying a FR-V

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by Dc5, Wednesday 22nd Jun, 2016.

1. Dc5 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Badeshi Bristol
    Hi, great forum here full of info!

I am hoping to buy a FR-V ASAP to replace a nearly dead Leon TDI.
    Mainly am looking for reliability and practicality. It is for a family vehicle to fit toddle, new baby, dog etcetc and FR-V looks great!
    I am a fan of Hondas and know they are generally very reliable if well looked after.

I went and looked at a very tired one other day and really liked the layout and design.
    I have seen a couple on auto trader but am unsure regarding milage, owners and diesel/petrol.

Usually I would think buy on condition not milage but wonder whether £6k is too much for 2007 80k car!
    For similar price can get Honda approved 2010 Civic with 30k which, although not half as practical or interesting would possibly be a better bet?
    There is also a nice looking 1.8 with only 50k for £6700.. is it worth going to look at that also? Is it worth another £700 to have less miles?

Is milage that important? My Integra is in great condition and has done 100k+ but it was cheap for what it is...

I don't know really, too many options and too many ropey cars around! (Or my paranoia!)

I have heard 1.8 is very reliable and not much less economical than diesel and diesel should have had clutch changed ideally.
    Service history with anti corrosion should be there.

I guess as a general family vehicle it shouldn't have been ragged too much and main wear may be the interior?

I have seen the foibles post which has some good info regarding potential issues so I will keep an eye out but any opinions very welcome!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    How many miles will you be doing in a year ? If it's not all that much then the slightly higher mileage one won't matter so much as you won't be adding much to it.

Where as if you were going to be loads of miles then it makes more sense to start off with car that has less miles on it already.

3. Dc5 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Not a massive amount of miles, maybe 8-9k? But hoping to keep for a couple of years...
    I had an old Type-R with 130k which was reliable but just started to need more and more stuff to be maintained which I would like to avoid. But that was an 02 car so 07 should be a bit cleaner anyway....

4. intentionally blank Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland pete Glasgow
    We've had ours for about 50k miles (it's just about to do 100) and it's been fine.

We have a warning light on the dashboard which I'm cheerfully ignoring, couple of suspension type things as my wife attacks sleeping policemen like she's on a special stage but otherwise nothing. There;s a gremlin in the moment but I'm sure it just needs oiling.

The interior is excellent, supremely flexible. I have considered replacing it with a VW transporter but it wouldn't be as practical. I don't exceed the speed limit but if I did I expect you'd get 40mpg at 80-90. That would pick up to 45mpg at 70, which is what we get.

Dc5 likes this.
  5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Have you considered a Honda Elysion ?

6. Dc5 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Elusion looks cool but seems to be even rarer and almost always auto, I would prefer manual...

I am up for the FR-V but have slightly confused myself by initially considering a newer Civic. Also not many for sale very close by so need to make a committed mission at the weekend!

7. yanw Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Yan Gloucester
    I had an 06 Civic before the FR-V. We had to sell it as the three kids were fighting in the back all the time. Now we have the "Fight Reduction Vehicle" trips over 90 seconds can be conflict free. I loved the Civic; the ride, toys and comfort was better but we are not getting rid of the FR-V in the next ten years.

Dc5 and legend-ary like this.
  8. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Rob Milton Keynes
    Love it ! Fight Reduction - Vehicle

Dc5 likes this.
  9. Dc5 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Been to look at a few now. Really like the seating arrangement and driving position. Also seems well built...

I am about to make a purchase on a tidy 1.8 EX 2007 with only 50k
    It has good service history, every year and an 12 month MOT no advisories.
    Only think was the front discs and calipers are quiet rusty, not tragic and a good bargaining tool but as the former keeper was in Aberdeen do you think there could be other corrosion issues?
    The metal clips in engine bay had some surface rust but my quick glance under the car looked ok. But now I am thinking I should have been more thorough!
    The car is about 50 miles away so can't just nip and check again...

Price seems good for the mileage and condition, I am really just umming and ahhing!

There are others around but next nice looking one is about 80 miles away!

appreciate any thoughts...

Ben

10. yanw Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Yan Gloucester
    My experience is that Honda's have bulletproof engines but the bodywork will rust regardless. My callipers are rusty but we have had no trouble with them.

Did you check the warranty/service book and make sure the corrosion checks had been stamped? If it isn't I would be very sure to check the car over for rust as Honda-UK will not honnor any rust repairs.

11. Dc5 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cheers, yeah it had a Honda service stamp with a signature on that entry...
    otherwise body looked good, I didnt inspect sills etc very closely but no discoloration on edges and generally nice glossy paint!

12. Dc5 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Got one!!!

After some messing round looking at recent but rusty EX specs we settled on a well maintained 05reg for half the cost!

Been driving round today, great handling and smooth engine. The steel wheels and hubcaps need changing IMO but other half doesn't care! :Smile:

Thanks for all suggestions etc...

FirstHonda and legend-ary like this.
  13. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    looking forward to seeing some pics

Dc5 likes this.
  14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Congrats @Dc5 look forward to seeing it.

Dc5 likes this.