General Buying a genuine Honda battery on eBay?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chunkylover53, Wednesday 13th Nov, 2013.

1. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I was looking at a genuine battery on ebay, it is full sealed and all feedback points to the seller selling genuine parts. It is also considerably cheaper than HH which is pretty good too.

However I was wondering whether these batteries can go bad without use as this could be really old stock seeing as the car its for is from 1999. Or are there any other factors which might make the battery a dud like storage conditions etc?

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    They won't have stored the battery since 1999. Batteries have a finite life, it will have been manufactured quite recently.

How do you know its genuine Honda battery ?

3. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I forgot to mention that the battery is new although it was probably implied earlier.

Also I am not 100 percent certain its genuine but the packaging was similar to when I got parts from HH, the seller has sold over 50 random different Honda parts (not just one mass manufactured counterfeit) and has 400+ feedback all positive.

Assuming the battery is not from 1999, what the longest amount of time a battery can stay valid for?

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Good question, not sure what the answer is.

I'd imagine stored batteries needing re-charging like once a month.

5. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'd assume it would be longer than a month, Halfords in my area stock batteries for nearly every car and I wouldn't be surprised if some batteries were there for months on end. Either way I think for the sake of 15 pounds I'll avoid this battery. Thanks for your help

6. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

forgive my ignorance but do Honda make batteries ? I would assume that if you buy any known make of battery to suit the needs of your car that would be the correct one ? :Unknown:

7. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm pretty sure they make batteries, or more to the point, they rebadge batteries with their own logo. Nonetheless the reason I am going for a genuine battery is because it costs £50 while the halfords cheapest equivalent comes in at an eye watering £90.

8. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    My car was 8 years old when I fitted a new battery bought from HH came next day free postage and no worries about it being a load of mush. Same as battery I took off straight swap like for like same size and no quality issues. I feel sure it will last another 8 years :Smile:

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

As primary care says, when you buy genuine, you know it will fit, it will work as its supposed to and it will last.

10. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I am sure that there are a lot of quality producers of batteries apart from Honda branded, and if they produce the exact same item at a lower cost I would be fine using it.

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

That's fair enough Candobill, each to his own.

12. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You're missing the point though, when a genuine battery is cheaper than the aftermarket alternatives which cost more then it would be advisable to go for the genuine article

SpeedyGee likes this.
  13. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I agree that's not what I said :Happy:

14. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    I've just bought a battery from HH as well. For £50 it wasn't worth the hassle of shopping round to save a couple of quid. Plus being a genuine battery the chances of it dying 1 month out of it's 12 month warranty are slimmer than buying a cheaper one.

Ichiban and DeviateDefiant like this.
  15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Just for you info guys, Honda dealership I know have a policy of first in first out policy for car battery sales. They have strict audit measures in place to constantly check the date of battery stock they received and their idle time on the parts shelves. This ensures the battery are not sitting idle in boxes discharging. Ever dealer is responsible for testing, charging and maintaining batteries whilst in dealer stock,and the ones which do not meet the standard are returned back to Honda logistics for analysis and remedial action.

So when you buy a battery from anyone ask them to show the time stamp of the manufacture? that will tell you everything you need to know. Remember Japanese car manufacturer work in just in time inventory method everything is date stamped as a matter of principle:Wink:.

Coming back to the point of battery health, some of you will already know this but for those who don't.. new batteries are constantly discharging when not in use and batteries that are left in a deeply discharged state (less than 11.00 volts) may never recover despite your external recharging.

A cheap battery may sound very appealing but has this new battery already been damage from the point of new return? will the ebay seller confirm the state of the battery does he accept returns if this fails ?

A few Batteries does and don't when it comes to battery charging.

Battery Charging
    Battery charging is a vital part of battery maintenance and care. Simply driving a vehicle to charge it by using the vehicles alternator is not enough. The alternator is not designed to charge a discharged battery, it is designed to maintain it in charged condition (More than 12.45 Volts). Use a standalone battery charger to correctly charge/maintain batteries.
    Do not assume that just because a vehicle will crank and start that its battery is fully charged, always check it using the tester and fully charge it if required. Do not attempt to quick charge batteries at high amps in order to speed up the charging process, as this can either damage batteries or give a poor charge result.
    If the vehicle is not used enough, you may need to charge the battery periodically. Lack of use takes its toll on a battery - especially an automotive battery, which is designed to be charged regularly by an alternator.

An unused battery, regardless of its chemistry, will discharge itself over time. And, if that battery is allowed to remain discharged, it will suffer severe corrosion on the positive grid, resulting in battery failure. The rate of discharge depends on the type of battery and the temperature it's stored or used at.

Batteries that are left in a deeply discharged state (less than 11.00 volts) may never recover and you should consider replacement in these cases.

Honda dealers responsible for testing, charging and maintaining batteries whilst in dealer stock.. If they let a good battery sit discharged, and it is damaged from poor maintenance, then this is not a defect, and the replacement is not covered by warranty, so they make sure they don't lose money in bad parts management practices.

AccordCU2 likes this.
  16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    No they don't make batteries they have two or three approved vendors they use and they make the batteries for Honda cars as per the standards set by Honda. And boy do they make sure these standards are meet at manufacturing and they are constantly tested in batches to prove the vendors is sticking to their end of the bargain.

So you will get the correct battery for your car no matter how old it is. I can still get a genuine battery for my 1977 Honda Accord.

17. d'accord Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Also, if your ebay battery is faulty 1) You might not find out 'til it's well past the refund date 2) Do you really want to pay the cost of a return? Buy well buy once Cheers

18. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I agree with everything said about buying an HH battery as it is probably the safest way to go, as long as you are able to access it and not in a hurry.

19. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Lets have a look at the ebay battery listing then.........

SpeedyGee likes this.
  20. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★