Engine & Gearbox Buying a Used Honda Accord

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by jaller79, Friday 24th Jan, 2014.

1. jaller79 New Member Getting Started

Who can advise what to look for on a 7th Generation 2.2 Diesel model.

I currently own a very well kept 2003 2.0 vtech estate in stunning blue but need more torque to pull a caravan - whats considered overly high in mileage.

Are Dual Mass Fly wheels a problem?

Serveice history is of course important - but other than this any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

John

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Check this thread John (dead link removed by staff)

- - - Updated - - -

You can get 2.4 litre Tourers which should give you some more torque.

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 15th Feb, 2015
  3. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

My diesels got 172k on it now about to go in for a clutch and possible flywheel bye bye £1000 it's also had 2 rear calipers and an alternator, apart from that she's a good bus!

4. Biffo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lancashire
    Depending on the year / chassis number, there were faults with the VSA module (see my post on how to change it. http://hondakarma.com/guides/vsa-module-change-diesel.8/ ) also some of the 2004 -5 models the exhaust manifold cracks and exhaust fumes are smelt around the cabin area on start up, again the early ones had problems with the rear wheel camber (these should all have been sorted by now) the headlights allowed damp to get in, there is a recall to fit extra clips to stop this. All the above on early models. I've had all these faults as mine is 2005, but I'm now over 110k and it's still the best car that I've had in my 40+ years of motoring.

5. Pedro1 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Peter
    Sorry to but in but also considering a diesel vs petrol. Any known EGR / DMF systemic issues (looking at posts so far doesn't seem so) also am I right in thinking there is no DPF on the earlier model?

6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

@Pedro1, I-CTDI 7th Generation does not have DPF, correct.
    BUT, unless it's been cared for, is not recommended. You may be lucky and find a good one...
    7th Generation petrol much safer.
    8th Generation I-DTEC is far superior to the I-CTDI .

7. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

After owning a 7th Generation I-CDTI for a month now I have gotten to know the car well now.
    Full service history is a must preferably by Honda - the correct oil must always be used 0w/30
    If not sure walk away. Known issues with timing chain and oil pump failure on cars where incorrect oil has been used.
    Known issues where non genuine fuel filters have been used and cause running problems. Genuine HOnda filters must always be used.

No DPF but the dual mass flywheels are pricey if they need to be changed. Check for vibrations when depressing clutch. Check clutch biting point and any slipping - this will indicate that the clutch will require changing. When a new clutch is required they usually do the DMF aswell hence the price hike. People say the DMF is not required but as your in that area they say to change it anyways.

Aux Belt routing on the 7th Generation was updated - not a recall but can known to cause premature failure of the alternator bearings. Not really a show toper but worth considering and budgeting for maybe even a bargaining tool.
    See here
    Drive/Alternator/Poly Belt Changes (Diesel) • Honda Karma

Electrical & Lights - i-CTDi Noise from Alternator • Honda Karma

Honda rear callipers always tend to stick if not properly regularly maintained - check handbrake for a good bite - also disc and pad condition

As mentioned above the VSA (vehicle stability assist and ABS modulator have been known to be an issue. See here
    Suspension, Steering and Brakes - Diesel Honda's VSA Modulator Light on with DTC66-1 stored in ECU • Honda Karma

Also well known issue with the exhaust manifold - Honda covered it under warranty but some cars out there still running the older manifold
    see here
    Engine & Gearbox - i-CTDi Diesel Exhaust fumes entering the vehicle on Prefacelift & Facelift Modesl. • Honda Karma

But apart from that - the I-CDTI diesel is a really good car.

The petrol is much more of a safe option - Honda built their reputation around their petrol engines and their reliabily is pretty mcub bomb proof providing they have been well catred for.

In hindsight I think I should have bought a petrol K20 or K24 but running both A Prelude H22 and a K20/K24 would be really expensive but then the maintenance and fixes for the diesel would probably be the same. Lots of ways to look at it.

Generally Honda's are the most reliability cars on the road. When was the last time you saw a Honda on the side of the road broken down? lol

8. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

In addition to the above I would look into buying the face lift Accord made between 2006 and 2008. Known differences are thicker steering wheel and updated front grill - few other cosmetic changes too.
    See here
    Bulletins & Advisories - Differences between Facelift and Pre-Facelift • Honda Karma

facelift also benefited from having a sixth gear for cruising and better MPG
    Most of the issues that plagued the I-I-CDTI including timing chain/oil pump issues were revised on the facelift but the manifold problem affected the entire range

9. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

It does depend the mileage you do.
    Diesels will benefit if you lots of miles - the more miles you do the better the diesel engine will last
    If you don't do many miles then I would go for a petrol

10. Nels Moderator Staff Team

@Pedro1, all the above points made by @Accord_N22 are true, if not looked after.
    My 7th Generation is one of the first PFL. It has been running for over 10 years.
    The rear calipers were starting to stick, but I've fixed that.

Hence the recommendation of either going petrol 7th Generation or either 8th Generation, depending on budget.