Pre-Purchase Buying a used Honda Jazz. Any Advice?

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2007-2015)' started by dbrooks65, Sunday 2nd Nov, 2014.

1. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    Good morning all

My parents are replacing their 10 year old Vauxhall Meriva and they have decided on a Honda Jazz.

So I'm going with them this afternoon to look at a few. 2009's probably. Anything I should look out for?

Couldn't find a great deal of info using the search function. Maybe that speaks for itself.

Any thoughts appreciated.

2. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    They are pretty much bullet proof - I know some of the earlier Jazz models sometimes had issues with their manual gearbox bearings up to around the late 2006 models. Other than that, I am not aware of any but I am sure that there might be some niggles as there are with all cars on the road.

I have a family friend who bought a Jazz out of the box from Honda around 10 years or so ago now. Its still going strong with no problems whatsoever.

I am sure someone else will be able to advise if there are any major issues.

3. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Apart from the usual things (FSH, test drive etc) they are darn good cars. If it's from a main dealer, ask if all TSB s have been done.

4. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    Thanks guys.

I did read a bit about the gearbox bearings but wasn't sure until which year. So hopefully a 2009 will be ok.

Cheers.

5. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    Hi dave,

I have the previous model to what you're looking at.

AFAIK, the 3rd Generation still has some similar issues as it's predecessor such as wheel bearings being prone to early failure, water ingress to the boot (check the carpets for damp), handbrake being weak.

They're totally solid though.
    - - - Updated - - -
    @dbrooks65, which dealers are you going to see? I've got some recent experience in the Glasgow area.

Nighthawk likes this.
  6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Jazz gearboxes on the 2nd Generation had faulty bearings on CVT boxes there is a extended warranty make sure of you are buying a CVT this work is done. Swindon made 3rd Generation have loads of body issues so let me know the chassis model i will point you to the TSB's.

Nighthawk likes this.
  7. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    @dbrooks65 , how did the car hunting go? find any nice ones?

8. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    Deal done!

Thanks for all replies. Bought a 61 plate manual 1.4 ES with 30K miles. Mint condition. Folks are well chuffed.

Rob, went to Henrys Honda at Crossmyloof, The Phoenix Linwood and various Arnold Clarks.

The one we got was from Arnold Clark - not my favourite dealer but the condition of the car made up for it.

Just an observation from our 5 hours of car hunting - surprised how many cars on the forecourts of large dealerships are in poor condition. We walked away from so many today without even asking to look inside.

9. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Pleased you've got the Jazz you wanted for your parents.
    If you get chance, please add her to the Club Garage.

dbrooks65 likes this.
  10. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    Shame you had to deal with the Shark, but I'm sure you'll be ok with a Jazz. Great wee motors.

Know what you mean about the dealers, some are just so lazy.

dbrooks65 likes this.
  11. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    Another point worth mentioning from today is the previous owner of the Jazz has been loyal to the Honda brand for some time - however, apparently the cost of a new basic spec petrol Jazz was the same as a brand new top spec Nissan Juke diesel - so he traded it in for the Juke.

All this info came from the salesman so take it with a pinch of salt.

I'm not familiar with the costs of new cars to be honest to couldn't agree or disagree with the salesman's story at the time.

12. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

If I'm not mistaken a Jazz 1.2S is circa £10K, so I doubt you could even get a basic Juke for that.

13. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    I'd rather have the Jazz anyway. That Juke is one ugly motor.

Ichiban likes this.
  14. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

They look awful, but are actually quite nice to drive.

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hopefully the new HR-V will stick it to the Nissan Joke.

16. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland

How long is the warranty you've been given? When I bought my MPS from them (nobody else had this car so I had no choice) I got two months warranty but the cover was excellent and was the equivalent of a manufacturer's warranty. They replaced most of my A/C system and also the rear windscreen without any hassle so it's worth giving the car a really good test to find any issues within the warranty period.

Nighthawk likes this.
  17. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    Got 2 months warranty aswell. Good point - I'll give it a thorough check over.

18. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^It doesn't surprise me, I'm afraid. So many people just don't look after their cars, and don't attend to the basics like cleaning, especially on interiors. Dealers should do more to prepare cars thoroughly too, the most irritating response I find is when they tell you they are waiting to sell a vehicle before they put it through the workshop to sort the issues...:Rant:

19. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    I'm with you there. It smacks of complacency - especially Arnold Clark as they have the monopoly in Scotland especially.

20. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    @dbrooks65 I'm surprised you didn't get a 1 year honda approved warranty with a car that new.