Pre-Purchase Buying Advice - Petrol vs Diesel

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by Mindthegap, Wednesday 11th Jun, 2014.

1. Mindthegap New Member Getting Started

Jefferson
    Hi,

I am thinking of buying a Honda CR-V and have a budget that should get a 2008 / 9 model.
    There does not seem to be a huge difference in the price of diesel's vs petrol's.
    I will be doing approx 10 - 12000 mile a year with a lot of short journeys but also longer trips for holidays, visiting friends and relatives as it would be our main family car.
    I am trying to decide between trying to track down a decent petrol model or a diesel.
    Realistically what sort of MPG are petrol owners getting from their CR-V's?
    Also have many people had DPF or clutch problems with the diesels?

Any advice would be greatly received!

Thanks,

Jeff.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Jeff , at that mileage petrol will be better suited for your needs, shorter journeys on the diesel may result in DPF issues which negates the need for diesel. Make sure if you are buying the petrol CR-V its does not eat engine oil as a few of them have a habit of burning engine oil which is acceptable but badly maintained ones can bite you.

3. Mindthegap New Member Getting Started

Jefferson
    Thanks for the reply Ichiban.
    Is there anything else to look out for on the petrol CR-V's?
    I have read up on diff flushes etc so will check vehicles on full lock to make sure there is no noise.
    Am I right in thinking that a petrol version would also be less prone to clutch issues?

Thanks again.

Jeff.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Jeff, The CR-V rear diff have a tendency to glaze which causes that noise, that can be easily resolved by a flush. The petrol clutches don't have any issues its robust and just works you may get the odd CMC creaks on the rod but that can be silenced by grease or changing the CMC for a newer one.

Additionally there are loads of service bulletins and service maintenance tips within the CR-V section , so please have a look at them any question on them just reply to that thread so it keeps the content relevant. . Just filter them by prefix for easier viewing:Niceone:

5. Mindthegap New Member Getting Started

Jefferson
    Thanks again for your advice :Smile:

6. steve4536 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

If this is any help; I highly recommend the auto box for the CR-V. I've had mine for just over a year now (2009 petrol) and the auto transmission is simply superb (mine is anyway).
    You can keep the clutch work and stick wiggling........that belongs to a bygone era as far as I'm concerned.

7. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Just bought my/our 1st CR-V last sat ... 2012 model. I bought diesel and reckon we will do around 15+ per annum. But I got a great deal on this car to warrant purchase of diesel variant

PeteMM likes this.
  8. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Great news @nsxer.
    Post some pics in the garage when you get chance.

9. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Telford
    Hi,
    I changed from a diesel Accord to a petrol CR-V ex because of DPF problems. I only do a low mileage per year and mainly short runs so a diesel was definitely the wrong choice of fuel for me.
    The petrol CR-V is quiet, reasonably quick once you get the VTEC operating( around 4000RPM upwards) and on my short trips I am getting around 29 MPG. On a reasonable run I have got 40 plus MPG FULLY LOADED.
    The more I drive the CR-V the more I like it. Over the last 16 years I have changed my car around 7 times and after just 12 months have the itch to change again. I have owned this car for over two years now and have never considered swapping it. That is amazing for me and proves how much I like this car. Mine has only done 20k which is very low for a 2010 year car. They are out there somewhere. Good lunch, I hope you find a gem like mine.
    Regards
    Mike c

steve4536 likes this.
  10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I do over 25k miles a year and I will not get a diesel yes my fuel bills are astronomical, but what you get is piece of mind with no unexpected engine breakdown, no limp mode, no coughing and spluttering and farting black smoke.. Just pure fun and with good old Honda reliability which the Honda diesel will never have nor comprehend the concept they are alien to it. Which quite frankly is the honest truth a lot of diesel owners will say no that not accurate..but the stats don’t lie. The I-DTEC has change the game in reliability stakes leaps and bound but they need to be run with a mechanical sympathy in mind.. You can rough them up like i-VTEC’s and get away with it.

The cost of petrol servicing is next to nothing over 5 years compared to the diesel you are spending easily 500 quid more. So if you like your car in and out or garage for countless ECU updates , regens & correct oil grade , yada yada then you have to get a diesel. If not that you will be in as the legendary Swindon build quality will have you in for some repair or the other as a pretty much given it WILL happen. On the flip side if you want to fill up and drive where ever you want, whenever, no frequent dealer visit ofr silly ECU updates and give its neck a proper ringing until you get a MASSIVE VTEC grin you want petrol... it win all the time every time.

Diesel engine will you will never get that grin it barely revs LOL