Accord/8th Gen Buying advice

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by cocmango, Monday 5th Nov, 2012.

1. cocmango New Member Getting Started

Hello dear Honda aficionados,

I was wandering if you could give me some advice on a Accord Tourer that I'd like to purchase. It's a 2009 HONDA ACCORD EX I-DTEC Tourer and has lots of miles: 128,000 to be precise. It had one owner previous to the person I'm buying it from, and a full service history from a main Honda dealer. I have checked the car history with Autocheck as well as its MOT history and can find nothing suspicious. The only reason I'm in doubt and suspicious is that the current owner has had it for only a couple of months and now he wants to sell it saying that he needs the money to go back home to a wedding, etc (he's a nice chap from Pakistan). The car drives beautifully and no warning lights come on, and I could see nothing wrong, except for cracked fog lights. The most recent service was in September. Buying a used car is always risky business, but are there obvious things that I should watch out for before taking the plunge?

Many thanks for any advice you could spare.
  2. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Depends on how much he is asking for it.

Also, if he needed to go to a wedding, why did he buy a car? As an Arab-descended Muslim myself, I can tell you that Pakistani weddings/Muslims weddings are planned 6-to-7 billion years in advance so its not like the seller didnt know he had to go....but instead bought a car which he now wants a quick sale on?

Personally I would walk away based on that alone.

You have money - you can get much less mileage Accords with more peace of mind. Thats my advice, and welcome to the forum too, great to have you join :Thumbup:
    SayamaAccord likes this.
  3. AccordCU2 Premium Member Club Supporter

I agree with Saj on this one.
    Why would you sell the car that you only owned for two months.
    I might be wrong and car is genuine but it sound a bit suspicious.
  4. dennismate Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Also, those cracked fog lights are bloody expensive to replace if you down the OEM route
  5. cocmango New Member Getting Started

Thanks zoran and dennismate for your input. He's asking 7000 GBP for it. He bought it for 7100 GBP (he showed me the receipt from the dealer), but has put some money in it with service and some filters.
  6. AccordCU2 Premium Member Club Supporter

I suppose you could get someone to check the car for crash damage,engine etc and then make your decision.
    Car really could be genuine and turn out to be good buy it just sound a bit suspicious.
    At the end of the day decision have to be yours and if you feel comfortable and 100% sure car is genuine then why not.
    Good luck anyhow,hope you buy something good for your money.
    Sid likes this.
  7. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

128k on an 09 is huge mileage.

How was it clocked up?

Taxi use?
  8. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Service costs are write offs. Do not associate them with "value" or cost of the car. He could have spent £15k on carbon fibre alloy wheels, the value of the car will still be gravitating south, not north.

Price seems fair for the mileage but I can't help but think you could throw in 2 or 3k more and get a minter with less than half that mileage - and probably from a reputable Honda Dealer.

Great example here, granted, its not a Tourer, but you get the idea...

Used Honda Accord EX - Used Car Sales, Used Cars, Holdcroft Car Dealers
    AccordCU2 likes this.
  9. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I paid £8k for my 2.0 petrol tourer with 63k miles on it.

Diesels are overpriced and troublesome at that mileage, turbo, injectors, pumps etc etc...

Petrol Honda's are some of the most reliable cars ever.
  10. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Diesels are not inherently troublesome.

I have not had a single issue with mine. And why would there be? Its a Honda :Happy:

The issue with diesels is people who buy them seldom have the fortitude to understand how they work and how they should be maintained. Pressing a button to unlock, inserting the key to start and driving away are not the be-all-and-end-all of driving. Maintenance knowledge is a must, whatever fuel powers your car :Smile:
    Nels and Sid like this.
  11. Nick Allen Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Totally agree with both statements, unless you do the mileage and the medium to long distances then the extra initial cost and running costs associated with disels don't add up. I think its a minimum of 16k miles a year for break even. there are plenty disel v petrol calculators on the web..
  12. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    I have an 05 diesel and love it.
    I agree with all of the above posted comments/thoughts.

Like the other guys I question/worry about the sellers reason given and advice caution. Yes the price is tempting but there is always a reason and it is seldom the first one sellers give you.

I am a total diesel fan but with the cost of running one these days if the mileage is not hovering around the 16k plus is it worth it??? Newer Honda diesel if looked after will last and do star ship mileage. The early ones if maintained correctly and serviced regularly are fine to mine has been a breath of fresh air after German car ownership...

Good luck bud and consider putting an extra grand ire two in the pot there are plenty of good Accords out there.
  13. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Yep you are correct, the average motorist sees a car as a 'white good', doesnt know how to maintain it, and when they do its on the cheap!
  14. cocmango New Member Getting Started

Many thanks for all your input. Based on your comments, my gut feeling, and last, but not least, the strong opposition from my wife, I decided not to go for it, and will wait until a better one appears.
  15. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Have a look on Ebay motors, quite a few Accord diesels for around £7-8K.
  16. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You did the right thing.
  17. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Good move.

Gut instincts don't lie.
  18. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi, it ain't that huge. I just bought a 2011 (March) petrol 2.0 with 65k km's on the clock. No taxi use at all. Just commuting on the highway. This diesel has approx. same mileage/year. That's nothing to worry about.
  19. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Difference sir is that yours is in kilometres.

The 128k, is 128,000 miles. :Thumbup:
  20. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Dear sir,
    I am aware you count things in a different way.
    So I took 40K miles for my 65k km's. This diesel is a 09 => 40k X 4 = 160k miles (approx.) and it has 128k miles.
    Please be so kind to explain me where I'am mistaking. I'm sure I can learn something.