Introductions Buying an accord tourer I-CDTi

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by wulfman7t3, Tuesday 19th Jan, 2016.

1. wulfman7t3 New Member Getting Started

hi,
    I have been offered a cheap Accord I-CDTI on a 54 plate, awesome car all the toys but it has a fault with cold start, I have been told it is glow plug relay and is a common fault, am I opening a can of worms here or is the risk worth the reward as don't want to be stuck with a great car that doesn't work and is fault after fault after fault
    Any info would be appreciated please

Thanks guys n gals

2. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You could be opening a can of worms big time! Check out the common faults section for the 7th generation Accord there is a lot that can go wrong with these cars if there not well looked after.

If the only fault is the glow plug relay surely the current owner would fix it and keep the car or sell it for more money.

I would like to see proof that it is only that at fault if it was me looking to buy it.

However they are good cars lovely to drive mines edging towards 200k miles and really doesn't drive like it's done that mileage!

MickyB and Zebster like this.
  3. Nels Moderator Staff Team

:welcome: to HK @wulfman7t3

The 7th Generation Accords are smashing cars, however I agree with what @Dave has said. Since you are in S-o-T, I suggest that you take the Accord for a pre-purchase check at Holdcoft Honda. I'm sure they will be able to give you a better idea of what is wrong.

MickyB likes this.
  4. wulfman7t3 New Member Getting Started

It's frustrating as I know what a machine it could be and at the offer I could get it at I'll be quids in,
    I've checked other forums and they all mention glow plug relay,
    Got to be someone on here who's had the same,
    It takes 2 times to start so the glow plugs are not getting warm quick enough and it points to glow plug relay in my opinion or bad glow plugs maybe ??
    I don't know now

5. Nels Moderator Staff Team

If you're sure it's the relay, buy one and try it in the car before you buy it.
    However, if it was that simple, the present owner would have done that and then put the car up for sale at a much higher price.
    Poorly maintained I-CTDI engines are far too common. A new clutch and flywheel are very expensive and really need fitting by a dealer.

There's more to this than meets the eye.

MickyB and legend-ary like this.
  6. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    completely agree with @Nels . If it is too good to be true, it might actually be just that. You will see plenty of adverts which say 'Just needs relay / alternator / belt' well why didn't the seller get it done? Must be hiding something else and this simple fault might just be distraction.

I recently bought a Civic that just needed a rear caliper and brake hose plus a new battery. fairly simple stuff. turns out it actually needs a gearbox refurbish and I was too busy checking brakes as they were loud as hell masking the gearbox noise. car was SORN so couldn't take it for a drive.

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Agree with what has been said above, especially being a diesel, I'd just walk away. You;d be better spending a bit more money and getting a car that has been better looked after and doesn't have any faults.

8. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Welcome to HondaKarma @wulfman7t3 :welcome:

Based on what I've read on here over the past few years, I can only agree with what has already been said.

If not looked after, the I-CTDI has the potential to be a case of 'can open, worms everywhere...'

9. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    If it runs OK, with no sign of...

Slipping clutch,
    cracked exhaust manifold (much more noticeable when cold),
    Worn timing chains (an odd chafing/rubbing/rattling noise when hot and idling)
    ABS/VSA problems (EG, the warning light on)

...then I'd consider it, if it was cheap enough - I've seen apparently decent ones on eBay for less than £1k, including one for £520! It's old, so really isn't worth much (and I say that as a long-time owner of a 54 plate diesel tourer).

If the glowplug relay has failed, then the engine warning light (CEL, MIL, call it what you will) will be on and a P1384 diagnostic trouble code (DTC) will be stored on the ECU.

Do you have an OBD2 code reader you could connect up and see what stored DTCs are present?

10. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    hey @wulfman7t3 so did you buy an Accord at all?