Pre-Purchase Buying check list

Discussion in '7th Generation (2001-2005)' started by exec, Friday 15th May, 2015.

1. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    So I will be looking ta buying a 7th Generation Civic 5 door manual for my uncle, so was just wondering is there anything specific to look out on these cars?

The engines I will be looking at is the 1.4 and 1.6, I believe the 1.4 uses timing belts or is it both?

Cheers

2. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    Selling the Accord?

3. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Not for me, it's for my Uncle, I don't think I could downgrade to a 1.4 Civic from an Accord. :Laughing:

4. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    I was puzzled!

5. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    The EPS is a biggie, really well known fault on these cars (a quick google will show you how many faults there are with them) - make sure there are no clunking or clicking noises when turning it

What turned you away from Toyota? If I remember correctly, you were considering one of those werent you?

6. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Are they cheap and easy to fix if the EPS is faulty?

An yup was originally going to go for a Corolla, but they seem to be so rare, can't find any within the required specs available, and when they are they tend to be over budget, plus they also seem to have EPS, so I might aswell go with a Civic which is also a better packaged and more cleverer car, especially as I'm more familiar with Honda's and have this wonderful club to come to for any help!

I might start looking at the older mb6's then, although they are getting on a bit now, but are pretty much bulletproof bar rust issues.

7. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    It is the slider pins which appear to be the issue with EPS from what I have found. It doesnt seem a difficult DIY fix from my research and is something that I am looking at doing at some point. The part itself is pretty cheap from Honda, around 20 quid to buy, and then its dismantling and reassembling. Basically, the slider pin becomes loose over time and as a result, creaks.

steering rack slider

It hasnt put me off, I really quite like the little car, not as nice as the Accord, but its definetely more fun in corners, even though a little underpowered unless you hammer it

exec likes this.