Engine & Gearbox Cabin smell

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by rhinogolf, Wednesday 27th Jun, 2012.

1. rhinogolf Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

york
    Hi lads got a slight smell in cabin from vents smells like burning candles had manifold changed in jan so wouldn't think thats the problem. when i have air con on can't smell it any ideas

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Burning candles is similar to plastic burning , can't say without looking bud. What's changed recently on the car?

3. rhinogolf Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

york
    I broke a small bit of the air filter cover on the corner where front left bolt goes when changing filter could the fumes/heat from the engine come through the filter into the cabin its ever so slight smell.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Dave you better want to get it checked out . due to the breakage what you don't want unfiltered air getting into the engine. Get a picture up bud let's see the damage ?

5. rhinogolf Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

york
    there you go CJ been like that for nearly 10k

Attached Files:

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Is that corner sealing correctly Dave ,if not you may want to change that airbox .

7. rhinogolf Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

york
    would this cause the smell in cabin or is it more likely to be coming from elsewhere have not changed pollen fillter for over 20k even though i now change oil and air filter every 7.5k now thanks to HH amazing deals. Had new manifold fitted on 144k now on 170k so would not think it was manifold.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Potentially yes for argument sake if there is small engine oil leak, as the engine heats up the oil starts to burn causing that smell.

It could be via the air vents. Check for oil leaks around the engine bud.

9. Abbey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

USA
    Even a small piece might be important, depending on what purpose it serves. Please get this checked out by a Honda approved dealer, to spare your warranty.

10. rhinogolf Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

york
    warranty well gone Bev 170k+ on clock

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    End of the road for all extended warranty too, you are on your own now. Dave do you plan to do just drive it as is or?

12. rhinogolf Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

york
    its only faint smell and there's no smell when A/C on which i can't figure out also went to Manchester airport this morning and no smell but when back in traffic today in York in idle its back going to take to indie garage when passing next, see what he can find and check manifold as that will still be covered as HH replaced under warranty in Jan this year.

13. Abbey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

USA
    wow! That's very unfortunate. This is another reason i opted for the extended warranty. But I suppose even an extended warranty would be expired now. For sure, hopefully you can have this issue checked out. As someone pointed out, sounds like burning plastic.

14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Have you look for oil seepage around the back of the engine, exhaust manifold area.

Also what oil are you using ? If your using very thin oil with a higher engine mileage she could be burning some off in blow by or maybe via valve stems.

Last edited: Thursday 5th Jul, 2012
  15. rhinogolf Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

york
    Im using Honda ow-30 mate as for blow by or via valve stems have not got a clue what you mean, Today I've run the car in auto mode(air vent) not a smell

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You still want to check that filter is not sucking in dirt and grit.take the air filter out and see signs of grit on the clean side .

Stopping the smell is a priority but it should not at the expense of a engine damage.