Engine & Gearbox cambelt? what and how many?

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by n3utr1n0, Tuesday 19th Nov, 2013.

1. n3utr1n0 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    i want to change the cambelt on my 2002 accord.

I have the 2 litre engine f20b6 engine. I want to change the belt and the tensioners or pullies. on the internet I keep finding 2 belts and I have no idea witch one to buy. one has 70 teeth and an other har 112 teeth... I am very confused on witch part to buy as I don t know witch one will fit.

please some help.

2. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

have you typed in your reg number, it should tell you the one you need :Search:

3. n3utr1n0 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    i tried... even on eurocarparts there are 2 belts. one with 70 teeth and one with 112 teeth. and 2 tensioners as well. both different.

on ebay I find the same. one with 70 and one with 112... also 2 tensioners , also both different.

my reg is lj02yug

4. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

the timing belt is 112 teeth the tension belt is 70 teeth

5. n3utr1n0 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    so I need to buy 2 belts? and 2 tensioners? and that s it?

PS: will not replace the water pump.

6. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

that's the usual in a kit :Smile:

7. n3utr1n0 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    thanks man , i thought it was only one belt... the timing one. i had no idea that there are more than one...

i found a kit with these 2 belts and 2 tensioners for 111 pounds... will look for a cheaper kit , maybe I will find one...

8. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

111 seems like a good price mate, I ended up paying 160ish for what you got including brake pad set, water pump and coolant.

9. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

accord suitable on ebay a lot less but if you want genuine you will pay more :Hey:

10. n3utr1n0 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
  11. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I went for dayco belts when I did mine, so far they've been good.

12. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

saw the dayco kit for just over £41 :GoodJob:

13. n3utr1n0 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    where did u see the dayco kit for 41?

can u please share a link?

14. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I just rechecked it was on ebay but only listed up 2000 which is strange others for 2002 were around £50 but if you go to ebay in vehicle parts you will find it :Thumbup: let us know how you get on

Last edited: Tuesday 19th Nov, 2013
  15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Are you planning to do it yourself N3utr1n0 ? Could you do a DIY guide on it ?

Its been a little quiet on the DIY guide front recently, don't forget peeps theres awards (B&Q vouchers I believe) on offer DIY Guides of the Month !

16. n3utr1n0 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    I am the worst person to do the diy guide. not because I cannot take pictures and explain , but because I am rubbish on cars. I would ruin the car so badly if I attempt anything on my own...

I am at the level where I can change the spark plugs on my own... anything more complicated than that it s not possible...

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Fair play at least your honest,there are people out there who believe holding a spanner makes them competent in rebuilding an engine and reading guide.

18. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I would give Holdcroft Honda a ring too for the parts. Last time I got quoted this for the original Honda parts:

Timing belt: £36.79
    Balancer belt: £36.79

Not sure about tensioners though.

19. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Tensioners were very expensive last time I checked with HH. They told me that I wouldn't need to change it though as my car had only done 75k. Either way I ended up buying a set from SKF with everything for under £100.

exec likes this.
  20. n3utr1n0 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    there is no reason for going into trouble regarding stuff that i don t know how to do...

ichiban , maybe you could reply on the weak brake pedal topic , that would help me a lot :Smile: