Engine & Gearbox Camshaft control solenoid valve (?)

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Simes, Sunday 15th Nov, 2015.

1. Simes Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've been experiencing what felt like a misfire whilst on a steady throttle, managed to get an OBD code of:

P1259 Camshaft control solenoid valve 1 open circuit/ short circuit

Has anyone had this too, or have any suggestions?

(2001 2.0 VTEC Accord)

Cheers, Simon.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Have you checked the oil level ?

Was the engine oil changed recently ? If so what grade of oil was used ?
    - - - Updated - - -
    Actually open circuit/closed circuit would indicate an issue with the solenoid itself or wiring to solenoid.

3. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Any update on this Simon?

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Most probably its VTC solenoid is jammed happens on K20 quite easily once the oil is dangerous low or it not had regular oil changes.This is worst case scenario for the K20 engine they notorious hard to fix and you have to do latest 10-15 oil changes in quick succession to trace out all the junk.. by this time you will sell the car as it bleeding you dry not to mention the annoying feeling of losing power suddenly.

I know this as it happened to my father in laws car and I am still chasing the last bits of curd still and the car still occasional judders get the revs up and its fine for a few months.

5. Simes Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Sorry for late reply, rude of me...

Turns out I think it was oil related, drained, flushed and new oil/filter seems to have sorted it.

Cheers, Simon.
    - - - Updated - - -
    (Delete if not allowed)

I'm looking to buy a 7th Generation tourer soon, my 6th Generation exec is tatty but reliable, unlikely to get more than about a ton for it if I try and sell it, so could part it out if folk are desperate for particular bits.

Looking on eBay at the moment at a 2.4, but it's described as a V6, is this a mistake?

2004 Honda Accord Executive 2.4 V6 | eBay

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That's a mistake, the 2.4s are 4 cylinder.

Simes likes this.