ICE & HFT Can SatNav be retrofitted?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by mutley_m, Tuesday 28th Jan, 2014.

1. mutley_m Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

As per title really, I have a 54 plate Sport CTDI, just wondering if its easy enough to retrofit the OEM sat nav system, if so what parts are needed?

Regards

Mutley

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yes it can be but you need deep pockets.. and its not a case of plug and play... TBH you are better off with a standalone kit.

3. mutley_m Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the reply, I have a great app on my iPhone for free :Wink:

4. msantimanzano New Member Getting Started

Miguel USA Florida
    Hello. I am new to your forum. Hoping to see/learn new things and information here.

I wanted to say that I just retrofitted OEM navigation into my non nav 2006 Accord Hybrid. It cost me $600 US, I got all of the parts on eBay. It was easy and it works fantastic. I did the installation myself in less than 1 hour. I also spent about 2 hours making the wiring harness at home before starting the actual install.

5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    My '03 Accord Type-S has a retrofitted Sat Nav in it as well :Smile:

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Which didn't work.. fitting it is one thing but working is another! :Hey:

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Any picture of the install it will help others too:Niceone:

8. msantimanzano New Member Getting Started

Miguel USA Florida
    When I get home later I can link to photos for you guys.

Ichiban likes this.
  9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  10. msantimanzano New Member Getting Started

Miguel USA Florida
    Why did it not work? If the dvd drive, GPS antenna, display head unit and sub display were not broken, with the proper wiring it had to work fine. What was wrong with it?

11. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    I'm wanting to do a retro fit too, I have most of the parts, just not in a hurry so would be keen to see how it's done.

12. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Tbh I wouldn't bother, it's a good Sat nav system but there's so many new roads and changes to one way systems etc it started becoming undependable.

Easiest and cheapest thing is your smart phone, always up to date and free.

13. msantimanzano New Member Getting Started

Miguel USA Florida
    By that rule of thumb, no one should get new cars with navigation then. OEM navigation gives the owner what smart phone GPS cannot, it is incorporated into the factory dash, gives fuel consumption numbers, helps navigate without having to look at your phone, works even if your cellular signal is gone etc etc etc. As to changes in roads etc, that's why update navigation dvds are released periodically, to have updated changes available. I must disagree with your opinion, though I do respect it.

14. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Only on Pre-Facelift dude, Facelift is still updated.

Don't forget it's going to be a fair bit different on a USDM Accord Hybrid than our JDM Accord CL9s.

15. msantimanzano New Member Getting Started

Miguel USA Florida
    What is different in the navigation system between the models?

16. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I'm not sure to be quite honest other than I'd assume there would be differences between the Sat Navs, even though they visually look quite similar.

17. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Depends, if the SATNAV can be updated via SD card then it's easy to keep it up-to-date, but buying new DVD discs can be pricey with no guarantee that it's got the new roads. Prime example, the new M74 in Glasgow. It covers a fair bit of the city and if the update doesn't have it then it will be a pain.

I do like having an integrated SATNAV, it's quicker than getting your phone out, plugging in the charger and setting it up but I also have downloaded maps which I used in France. No need to have a signal and no need for internet access. I've still got a single din unit which I had installed in my 6th Generation Accord. Loved it as the big screen will come out and pop up! lol Could update via SD card, loads of features, could play DVD films, MP3 discs etc and was all touchscreen. Sound quality was good also. Problem with newer cars though is the dash layouts tend to be quite custom now.

18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    HFT and new software code where the two main differences.

19. msantimanzano New Member Getting Started

Miguel USA Florida
    I am not familiar with what HFT is. As to software code, you are talking about what, the DVD software, or are you talking about the firmware in the DVD navigation drive? I wish I had access to an electrical service manual for a 7th Generation Accord from your part of the world. I could more certainly guide someone then on properly connecting the system.

The nav system for the US model, is very straighforward, as is it's connectivity. The system is pretty much self contained, and only requires minimal connectivity to the vehicle to operate. I will try to elaborate, hopefully in a way that makes some sense.

The entire Accord nav system is composed of:

Navigation DVD drive unit
    Main navigation Display / am/fm/sat radio / 6 disc cd changer / HVAC headunit
    upper dash sub display with dash trim piece
    GPS antenna

All of these components, connect to each other with a wiring harness that is not connected to the car.

Aside from that, the factory wiring harness in the car that originally connected to the
    OEM am/fm/cd changer/air condition/heat unit, now connects instead directly to the new navigation display unit. 2 wires will also connect
    to this harness, so that you have GPS sound through the front speakers.

The only interaction that the navigation system needs to have with the car, is very straight forward (at least for us).
    1 wire connects from the navigation dvd unit to the PCM/ECU of the car, VSS.
    1 wire connects from the navigation dvd unit to the PCM/ECU of the car, CAN-L.
    1 wire connects from the navigation dvd unit to the PCM/ECU of the car, CAN-H.
    1 wire connects from the navigation dvd unit to the always on 12 volts fuse connection.
    1 wire connects from the navigation dvd unit to the ignition on 12 volt fuse connection.

If you wanted to use voice navigation (where you verbally tell the GPS where you want to go) you have to connect 3 more wires. I did not connect it, because it is terrible. I have used it in a friends car and I didn't like it, so I didn't bother, but if you want it, it's very easy to connect. You will also then have to get the streering wheel "talk" switch button, and a microphone.

I wanted to post photos, but I have been trying to post them for almost 45 minutes and the site just keeps giving me errors.

I would like to look at a regular, OEM radio/HVAC control unit, front and back, and also look at a navigation system, front and back from your country. Can anyone show me, or direct me to where I can see those? I'd like to help some of you, if I can, to retrofit nav into your vehicles if possible.

DeviateDefiant and SpeedyGee like this.
  20. msantimanzano New Member Getting Started

Miguel USA Florida
    Arcticfire, I do agree with you, that buying the updated DVD discs is a terrible way for Honda to have us update. It is also, expensive after a while for sure.