Exhaust System Can't remove my tailpipe trims!

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Galgo, Saturday 18th Apr, 2015.

1. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

My Accord Tourer has some nice tailpipe trims which I understand come as standard with the car.

They look pretty dirty and I want to give them a clean. I tried to unbolt them but it feels like the bolts are welded onto the tailpipe trims. Please tell me this isn't so?

I looked at the Lings Honda website and it seems like they are just normal bolts:

Honda Car Parts / Choose by Model / Genuine Honda Parts | Honda Cars | Honda Motorcycles | Honda Power Products | Lings Honda

(part number 38)

How the hell do I get them off? I tried spraying them with some WD40 and that's made no difference at all. Also tried hammering them, using the correct size socket (and a size smaller, hammer on kinda thing). The only thing that's coming off is bits of rust from the other side of the bolt lol

I have a couple of new replacement bolts so I'm not bothered about these ones. Can anyone recommend an easy way to get these bolts off?
  2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I'm not sure how to take them off but they do look firmly attached.

You shouldn't need to take them off to clean them though. Just get some metal polish like AutoSol on them, they'll come up trumps.
  3. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    you will have to drill them out.
  4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Try turning the tailpipe garnish with your hands the 8mm bolt will corroded and it will give then as beefy suggest heat or drill will do it, you may need to retap the threads.
  5. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

- turning the tailpipes from side to side
    - putting some Plus Gas on the bolts
    - turning the bolts with a pair of pliers (heads seemed rounded off when I originally tried to use sockets on them).

Now I've never done this before so I apologise if I sound a bit wet behind the ears, but is there any special technique to drilling the bolts out? I assume I set the drill to turn anti-clockwise?
  6. Busa1340r Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Yate
    Don't know if this will work on your model, but I used to use a heel bar and a mallet to remove the trims on older models. Put the pointy end of the heel at the end of the bolt where it touches the tailpipe and give the long part of the heel bar a bit of a clout. No need for drilling and tapping, skinned knuckles, f-ing and blinding
    You can then use a block of wood to tap the trim back on to the new tailpipe. Bit of a bodge, granted, but it works 99% of the time.,....
    - - - Updated - - -
    Just looked at your link £104 for a chrome tailpipe trim.......'kin 'ell !!!

BTW can you not just use a rag with a bit of Autosol (or suchlike) looped over the trim and worked back and forth, if you are only looking to clean it up?