General Car alarms

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by matt park, Monday 6th Oct, 2014.

1. matt park Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

matt North London
    Anyone got any recommendations for car alarms and where to have them fitted? I've been looking at the toad one sterling, or the toad ai606. There's a place called southern car security that sell them, fit them and seem to have a pretty good track record. Anyone had any dealings with them or can suggest where to go instead?
    They gonna to charge between £200-240 for installation.

Also, i'm hoping that with a cat 1 alarm my insurance company will shave some money off my premium.

What d'ya think?

Matt

2. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Does your 6th Generation not already have an alarm fitted as standard, I know mine does, and it works, because I've set it off and its gone off on its own. I'm not sure if its a Thatcham approved one or not though.

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I've not fitted a car alarm for long long time. So I'm out of touch with whats available and what it costs but I would try some audio places locally, they should also off er alarms and alarm fitting services.

4. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I swear the 6th Generation definitely has an alarm installed as standard. Plus surely nobody is going to attempt stealing it - no offence (I own one too)?

Also re insurance - check the difference in the premium if that's a deciding factor.

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I use to drive my sisters Austin Metro before I got my first car and never thought anyone would steal it... guess what they did !
    Got stolen from Filbert Street, Leicester by joy riders ! JOY RIDERS .. Austin Metro 1.0 !! :Nuts:

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  6. matt park Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

matt North London
    I believe there is an alarm fitted as standard but i'm not sure how sensitive or sophisticated it is. I have locked the car, pushed down hard on the bonnet and it hasn't gone off. My car is certainly not the most desirable by any stretch, but they will nick anything and the inconvienience of not having my motor when i need it is a game changer.

I was also told by Brayleys in Enfield that people were taking the cats off Accords because it's a big lump of platinum. The car alarm i'm getting has tilt sensors so they won't be able to jack it up without getting a blast from the alarm.

All of this may seem like an overkill to some but i need my car every day, i love it and i don't want the hassle of getting another one until I decide too. The insurance premium is not the deciding factor, but it will be a bonus if it gets dropped a little.

So it will be fitted by the end of the week.

7. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I don't think the alarm is particularly sensitive or sophisticated, it has something to do with just the key, it won't go off if the doors get opened, I've tried this, but will go off if someone messes with the ignition

8. matt park Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

matt North London
    Interesting. Anyway, the new toad ai606 will sort it all out, he hopes!!

9. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Not much help to you, but my sixth gen has a Clifford system fitted. It's got remote engine start, car-jack alarm with engine shut down, global closure windows, proximity sensors with audible warnings, remote boot lid release and probably a whole load of other stuff I don't know about.

I've got the receipt in with the manual and it was £900! Seems like overkill to me???

10. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I honestly don't see how it's worth the cost of fitting, I doubt it will make any difference to insurance (as there's already a standard alarm fitted) and £240 is a lot considering the value of the car. Only really very low mileage 6th Gens are worth more than £1,200 (and Type-R/Euro-R).

11. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

However to some it does not matter how much a car is worth, its their pride and joy and they don't want anyone taking it without consent, breaking into it or stealing parts.
    I would be gutted if anything happened to my car, regardless of make or model as they are my pride and joy, and I get very upset when I find more scratches on it, let alone a theft.

12. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    For less than £40 you could install a tracker and they work great and pings up on your smartphone mapping to about 2 metres accuracy. If you want more info about it let me know :Smile:

13. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I understand that but to me it's all about deterrents and they come in a lot cheaper, stick in a flashing red LED light or a wheel lock.

Harvey and Chunkylover53 like this.
  14. matt park Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

matt North London
    Well, I got it fitted today. I can't recommend Miguel at southern car security enough. He's really thorough and takes great pride in what he does.
    Toad Ai606 with immobiliser, tilt sensors and interior sensors fitted. Sorted

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  15. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thats great news, glad you got your car protected, at least its a piece of mind for you more than anything else.

16. matt park Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

matt North London
    That's it mate