General Car hesitation when accelerating

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pjrzn, Monday 28th Dec, 2015.

1. Pjrzn Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom PJ Romford
    Hi guys wonder if you have experienced this problem... (2.4 Type-S Accord)

You're accelerating in first gear, the car hesitates. it's like someone is letting off the throttle a little, then it seems to catch and pull ahead. it's pretty minimal but definitely noticeable.

My first thought is fuel filter, but before I start checking would you guys kindly let me know what it could be?

I am running of vpower

Thanks in advance

2. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Isn't this because of the ECU map of the electronic throttle? @ukcl9 ?

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    How well maintained has the oil been on this car ? Regular changes ?

What condition is the oil like at the moment ? Is it at the correct level ?

This very much sounds like a VTC failure.

If it's not that then it could a TPS or TB issue.

exec likes this.
  4. Pjrzn Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ahhh can you tell me what is a VTC, TPS
    Bad with accro

Yes car is well maintained oil change every 6 months. Including washing and draining ( cheap oil to wash old oil then castrol to run it)

5. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    move your mouse over the words VTC and TPS and any other term (like HK) with a dotted underline and you will see a pop up telling you exactly what it is :Wink:

exec likes this.
  6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Hovering over the acronyms will give the meaning of the acronyms but here are my versions :-

VTC = Variable Timing Control, this system uses an actuator to change the cam phasing accompanied by ignition advancing to aid power output and emission control.

If the VTC actuator is failing to operate correctly the camshaft will not be correctly advanced and may lead to ignition/misfire/hesitation issues.

TB = Throttle body, contains a mechanically or electronically operated butterfly which opens and closes to allow varying amount of air into the engine. The TB also may contain and IACV (Idle Air Control Valve) which is used to vary the engine's idle speed.

TPS = Throttle Position Sensor ... this sensor tells the engine angle of the throttle.

Does the problem only occur at certain revs ?

Last edited: Tuesday 29th Dec, 2015
    Nels likes this.
  7. Pjrzn Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cheers guys in terms of cost to replace VTC will it be much? In terms of DIY is it difficult to replace?

I don't think it is the Throttle body as the response is ok anyways it just hesitates when it comes to a certain speed. Mainly happens on 1st and 2nd but on highspeed i don't feel any hesitation.

I shall give my sensors a clean see if it makes a difference. The hesitation comes and go.
    - - - Updated - - -
    I'll drive it again later and ill pay attention on the revs then ill post it here after work

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

You need to do some more diagnosis and fact gathering before you decide to replace anything.