Engine & Gearbox car holding back?

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by avander.uk, Thursday 18th Apr, 2013.

1. avander.uk Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi all my car was playing up yesterday on my way to work . Seems now and again it holds back at 3000 revs for a few seconds ( done it on the slip road to the motorway at 50mph) its fine after it but could be dangerous if I pulled out to overtake.
    So if any ideas it would help alot thanks

2. james m Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

When was last service. I had same problem on a 306 serviced it and problem went away turned old owner had 2 bosh plugs 2 nkg what a plum

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Something is going a miss in either the mixture or the spark timing/strength.

As James says, check the basics first.

After that look at throttle body and EGR cleaning.

4. Craig Carling Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Bacup
    My best guess, after experiencing a similar problem with My MX5 would be spark plugs, as the others have mentioned. I had water ingress in the plug chamber and only 3 were firing correctly. Some paper towel and a new set of plugs and all was perfect again.

5. Roylewaa Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I second that, also could be oil in the spark plug chambers that's leaked past the seals on the rocker cover, sure it should only have NGK plugs in there aswell

6. avander.uk Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Kl kl I'll give it a try. It was absolutely bucketing it down yesterday n it reminded me of my wee 5 monaco when the dizzy got wet lol. I've done nearly 2k and only had it a month so maybe service required

7. Craig Carling Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Bacup
    If that's an average mileage, Can I suggest having an oil change every 5-6k miles....The car will thank you for it.