General CAR magazine, January 2014 - "HONDA HITS BACK!"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FirstHonda, Sunday 29th Dec, 2013.

1. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

You may have already seen this, but the January issue of CAR magazine is almost a Honda special.

On the cover, the new Civic Type-R and new NSX.

Inside, 8 pages on the new Type-R (which they love), then 6 pages on the new NSX, followed by another six pages on 17 reasons to love Honda.

A really good read - and worth seeking out IMHO. Finally some positive PR!:Happy:

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Good PR for Honda UK which will be taking the top cream off.. Sorry do not sit with me well. Good news for us the loyalist but just want to let Honda UK know we loyalist ..will this one is not its biggest fan.

3. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Dare I hope that's a 17-page Accord special with a review of how great the 9th Generation is? :Wink::Hooray:

4. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^ Afraid not, but some good ones in there, such as...

"Because we all love VTEC engines - you have to wring their neck. It's the law."

"Because it's still independent. And you can tell."

"Because their adverts are genius. They even make dull cars cool." (And yes, afraid that was directed at the 7th Generation Accord!)

5. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Gonna call at the shop and see if I can buy a copy.

Sounds like it's referring to Honda a few years ago, dull cars cool, the adverts are genius. Since about 2005 this seems to have been distilled out of the Honda we have today.

Hence, in my personal opinion, why Honda is in the situation it is today. They've somewhat turned their backs on the die hard loyal fan base to go and chase the mass-market arena of Ford and Vauxhall :telloff:
    with the sad result of not really pleasing either. :Sobbing:

Honda has never been a volume seller and was all the better for that in my opinion. Now they want to seemingly sell GM like volumes, whist still being loyal to their heritage which was never about mass-market, top the sales charts performance ever.

6. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Personally I always find CAR a good read, and the articles on Honda in this issue are well written. The "reasons to love Honda" piece is especially well done.

There is a real thread throughout around the engineering heritage and a company doing it's own thing. It mentions Asimo, the aeroplane project, and even the lawnmowers. Made me smile that I had made such a great choice of manufacturer. :Thumbup:

7. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yes I quite like CAR. Don't buy it often as often I never find the time to read it fully.

Tried to get a copy before but the local shop had none in and don't want to brave Morpeth town centre just yet to go to Morrison's or WH Smith as it's probably manic down there at the moment.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Honda Strikes Back According to Car magazine

----------topics merged.-------------

Just picked up the latest Car magazine and the new Civic Type-R and NSX get a glowing review with a excellent write up about the things loved about Honda.

Refreshing to hear some positive and real appreciation for Honda which is in short supply these days. I bought two one to read and one to keep sealed up for history!

9. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Re: Honda Strikes Back According to Car magazine

Well since they have been making quite average and uninspiring cars for a while its not surprising that they don't get much praise from the press, then again most of the press are very eurocentric. Car mag was the best around before they used to do some really good reviews, but I find just a glossy mag like the others these days.

10. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle

They have the 'reprinted from Car Magazine' in the dealers today, looks like the complete 20 or so page glossy pullout. Keep a lookout for one, obviously free to take if you are in.

Not read it all yet, but the '17 Reasons Why We Love Honda' is interesting, talks a little about Honda Corp, ASIMO, NSX, Fireblades, Type-Rs, adverts, Senna to name a few

11. Blues Legend Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

A glowing review? They're a long way off sale, so forgive me for being sceptical.

Sounds like typical hackitis; blaze it all over the front cover as the next best thing, then when all the Honda-bought food & drink has worn off, damn them with faint praise in a comparison test against the ooooh-German cars.

Might be worth picking up at the next dealer visit though; I remember the excellent interviews they used to do with Honda staff, in the days when Carp (and Honda) were good...

How I miss the passing of LJK Setright.

12. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland

BMW, Mercedes, VW (and Audi) Pah! Plebs in a fickle market which can turn on you overnight. If the car market turns sour then it's bye-bye my Oberhufbeschlaglehrmeister illusionists whilst Honda say hello to engines, lawn mowers, blowers, trimmers, generators, pumps, outboard engines, boats, scooters, household energy plants, robots, aircraft and atv's for sale and probably many other innovations which are still secret.

But, the car market is huge so I really hope they can put a wedge between all those German cars. I still think the name Honda has that stigma attached to it by the public - it's seen as a boring car whilst there's a small crowd who appreciate the Type-R series. My plan, were I in charge of Honda, would be to have three very strong categories of vehicles:

Premium Branding: Totally different name and badge (just like Lexus etc) and no expense spared - even if they are a loss leader it would still take sales away from the fatherland and draw attention to what would be a far better car. These premium Honda's would have to be much more powerful but refined, excellent handling but smooth and top notch interiors with immense sound proofing. I'm thinking and Accord sized car to rival the 5 series and E-Class and then a Legacy+ sized car to rival the 7 series and S-Class. Maybe even having dedicated dealerships for the premium brand for that ultimate experience (with Honda dealerships still being suitable though)

Regular Honda Branding: This would be their mainstream family cars up to the Accord size focusing on a good car with reliability and economy at a fair price.

Honda Sports: Bring back the Type-R series to rival the Evo's, Scooby's etc. It's not a huge market and maybe even a dying one thanks to politicians screwing up the UK and so many being broke - not to mention the cost of fuel. But, if it's based on the Honda mainstream cars which are basically upgraded with powerful engines and proper sports suspension etc then the bulk of the costs have already been absorbed through the basic car to start with. I'm thinking a rival to the M3/M5, AMG, RS4/S4, Golf R etc as well as the Evo's etc.

It's very unlikely though. I think Honda know that there's big money with car like the Jazz and Civic because the majority of the population want economical cars with low VED and un-premium price tags or small SUV's - in particular women who like to be a little higher up but without the bulk of a full blown 4x4.

No harm in have a dream though! lol

Last edited: Tuesday 21st Jan, 2014
  13. Blues Legend Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

:Grin:

Well, apparently the NSX will be an Acura in Russia, so maybe they'll invade from the East.

Over decade ago, Rosengarten & Stuermer wrote in 'Premium Power' how Honda were well-positioned to become a premium brand. However they promptly made their cars more mass-market, presumably in an attempt to make room for Acura. But that never happened and now they are stuck competing in the shrinking middle-market.

Perhaps we will get the TLX to replace the Accord? SH-AWD on mine, please.

14. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London

The Premium branding just wouldn't work. They already have Acura which was the first premium luxury sub brand by the Japanese, of course they were all pretty much rebranded Honda's, then came Lexus and Infiniti, and Acura has been left behind. Lexus are arguably the best luxury car brand from Japan, they make fantastic cars that are better than the German equivalent in many ways, but they have failed to break the premium market properly after 20 years in Europe. Infiniti have entered the market recently but remain a low volume player, Acura just wouldn't cut it in such a competitive market. The Germans have the market sewn up in Europe. If Honda bought in a loss selling sub brand they company would probably go bust, they are a wholly independent company and survival is everything.

Besides I buy a Honda because it's a Honda and drive with the pride of being in one with the H badge on the front, would never want an Acura badge and a sub brand that means jack all.

15. Blues Legend Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeah, but appreciators of fine engineering are considered geeks and it's apparently hep to be a fashion victim and know little.

Thus everyone thinks Honda make lawnmowers & would be impressed by a brand that sounds like a cheap watch.

Having said that, only really Jaguar has the heritage be break the german hegemony in Europe.

And an XF would still look more elegant than an RLX, even after a heavy frontal impact.

16. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London

I laugh at people like that, the sheep that go and buy some shitty poverty spec Audi on finance with the latest plate so they can go round telling people how many times they have been to the garage to get their car fixed.

The image problem is mostly in the UK, brits are obsessed with badges and images for whatever reason, go to most other parts of the world and Honda's are cool and appreciated, although they are mostly resting on their laurels from glorious bygone era's.

Not even Jaguar can break ze germans stronghold, they are merely low volume manufacturer, I would put them in the category of Lexus, as sort of left field choices, although they aren't in the strictest meanings.

The Germans have a special market place where they make premium cars yet are mainstream, so makes them very successful, no one else can really compete with their product range either, they have so many models, specs, options, engines etc. Partly why Lexus is struggling is cos they have no real diesel lineup, just old Toyota diesels, yet looks at BMW's diesel line up, and they have a range with amazing engines.

17. Blues Legend Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

IKWYM!

There is a poverty-spec A6 on lease for £166 plus VAT! I can see it's not just the poseurs who would take that instead of an Accord.

One of the problems Acura has, is they cannot offer the choices due to their more rationalised production.

And I know of one person who is rejecting a new A4 because it's a PoS.

Jaguar is tiny in world terms, and they can grow considerably (like Shed Rover did) now they are free of Ford's mismanagement.

There IS a place for Honda, but I fear they will rue the day they tore up the plans (including a Diesel V6!) due to the Lehman crisis. I fear the damage is done to the reputation/image even if their class engineering could overcome.

18. Biffo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lancashire

I like your post articfire, I would also add a decent big 4x4 to take on the Discovery, and not a girly shape either!

19. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
  20. Biffo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lancashire

Yes but it's too thirsty in it's present form, uprate the diesel engine and get some decent MPG, and it's a winner!