General Car or driver?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nighthawk, Wednesday 11th Mar, 2015.

1. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Inquest verdict: Stroud siblings Jinny-Mae and Bobby killed in crash caused by defective tyre and suspension (From Stroud News and Journal)

A sad story, I feel for the family but accidents due to poor modifications happen quite a lot. People who lower their cars without the full knowledge or correct ability to do it safely with bad tyres and lack of experience. This car would have given him plenty of warning before that tyre finally popping so being over the limit at the time of the crash probably made little difference to an inevitable crash at some point.

2. chunkymonkey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Gary Lincs
    A very sad story I too feel for the family. Lets hope some good comes of this tragedy and it helps highlight the dangers of not keeping a vehicle properly maintained.

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That is a really tragic story.

As you say @Nighthawk it highlights the perils of modifying your car without really knowing what you are doing.

4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Call me cold hearted if you want, but I have absolutely no sympathy for the driver whatsoever. Three times over the alcohol limit and on cocaine. His ill conceived modification and negligence at checking his tyres highlights the mechanical cause, but it was his ignorance and stupidity that were really to blame.

HOWEVER, it is a real tragedy that he killed his sister too. (But why was she not wearing a seatbelt?) I DO feel extremely sorry for his family. They did not deserve this.

Chunkylover53, Modplod and Bones126 like this.
  5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Given the fact that the driver was drunk and high on drugs I'd imagine she was too. If she wasn't then she wouldn't have let her brother get in the drivers seat.

6. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Most VW's should be taken off the road because they are usually sat on their arses with negative camber suspension set-ups with the drivers view obstructed by tacky stickers.

Apart from looking gash, they are dangerous. This sad story highlights that.

I don't understand the VW scene at all. They all look like square boxes, are boring to drive and as reliable as a Mexican on guard duty.

7. Nels Moderator Staff Team

This is a distinct possibility, but it is the driver's responsibility that his passengers are wearing their seatbelts. If he was incapable of this, for his own sister, he was clearly not safe to drive, even a well maintained, un-modified vehicle. We don't know all the facts. Only the state he was in.

Such a shame for their parents.

8. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Its the drivers responsibility to ensure all passengers under 18 are wearing their seatbelts. Above 18, its the own individual as they are classified as adults.

From that article, it appears that it was inevitable that the tyre was going to pop at some time. Just a pity it took an innocent life out at the same time and happened when the driver was mixing drink and drugs.

Still though, bad suspension job, bald tyres, structurally unsound tyre, high speed, always going to end badly.

9. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Fully accept this point.
    However, in my car you wear a seatbelt or you can walk.

Bones126 and Nighthawk like this.
  10. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    That's why never drive next to a chav mobile thats scraping the floor, not only do they drive like idiots but their cars are unsafe, one suspension pop and they can slam into you.

Also echo the modern Vdub scene, it's really rather lame, most of their cars look like generic euroboxes with very bland drivetrains, that are pimped out badly, trying too hard to emulate the Jap tuning scene.