General Car park scumbags.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by raza4, Monday 1st Feb, 2016.

1. raza4 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

england
    This is the main reason I don't want a newer car. Tesco car park yesterday. Wish I had noticed at the time. I do remember thinking the car next to me was a bit close. Not so bad on a 10 year old car but still very annoying.

Attached Files:

2. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    ouch!
    hate it when it happens. people these days lack the decency to own up to it and just inform the owner as its much more infuriating when one finds on their own few days later.
    Btw is that a dent or just scratches? does it catch your fingernail at all? might be worth going over with a polishing compound..

3. raza4 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

england
    It's scratches and it does catch your finger nail. I'd go crazy if it was a new car. If they had owned up I would have said thanks for being honest and just left it as it's old and regularly gets mysterious scratches. I'll have a go with some compound.

4. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

That's a shocker @raza4 :no:

Maybe the worst will polish out if the paintwork isn't broken?

I'm afraid that far too many people just don't see things like this as a problem. The 'it's only a car' brigade...:brickwall:

5. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Scum is correct even in my old shed ( spot the un- dented panel ) I try and park on the end of the bay and by posh cars if poss. My thinking being they don't want to damage their own cars.
    I'm afraid you'd all go mad over here, it seems the norm to touch park sometimes at more of a touch !

6. vincemince Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Car parking spaces are too Flipping small
    Which is why I always park miles away from everybody else and then some plonker parks close up right next to you like there is nowhere else to park and ding ! Another line on the door saver trim

But what is really annoying , the car park owners will not even let you view CCTV coverage if they have it

FirstHonda and exec like this.
  7. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    This is something that really boils my p**** .

Had it done to me a while back by a council worker. . . .needles to say when I spoke to the council they started the whole "we need to do a full investigation to find out who was at fault" . . .. . . They sharp changed their tune when I played the recording on my phone (set the audio record as I got out of the car) which included the lady saying several times that it was obviously all her fault.

The scratch was not terrible but got a full valet and machine polish out of it!!

:Smile:

8. Alexknight91 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Alex Norwich
    I have been known to take pictures of cars either side of mine including plates if I'm not sure of them haha

John Dickson likes this.
  9. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Sorry to see that @raza4 it is very annoying when it happens. I always park as far away from the shop as possible but you do get the odd one who still parks next to you despite the acres of empty spaces.

I've started doing that as well. I'm expecting someone to kick off but they have no reason to be concerned as long as they don't damage my car.

10. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    I always park miles away too, and inevitably, you do always get someone parking next to you anyway. As though their car gets lonely and needs company in the car park

Out of curiousity, what would taking pictures of the cars parking next to you prove?

SpeedyGee likes this.
  11. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Reg number and the ability for police to track down and match damage and paint color of a potential hit and run type accident.

I had woman reverse out next to me and turn the car too soon which put a large dent and damaged the paintwork pretty good in the rear quarter panel. I had a photo of the car and reg. I only snapped it because they parked like a plonker, but there were no other spaces. Needless to say when the cops caught up with her later that day there was a good bit of red paint pressed into the corner of her newly scraped up white bumper and the insurance and cops found in my favor. I would have been left repairing my own car if I didn't have that photo to start them looking into it.

hondream, stuscrv and chris2982 like this.
  12. Nighthawk Guest

Its not a hit and run accident in a car park unless you can prove mens rea and the knowledge of hitting a vehicle.

She must have coughed to damaging your car. If she denied it, I can guarentee nothing more would have happened as no further costs of investigation would have been authorised. The police would never authorise forensic tests to match paint colour due to the costs involved quickly exceeding the costs of damage. wouldn't be in the public interest. Also, its ultimately unwitnessed damage, having a picture proves nothing whatsoever about the offence or identifies a suspect before an incident occurs.

13. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    I was never privy to weather or not she admitted liability, none the less they did use the information to track her down, and I got the car fixed for the time taken to get a quick photo of the reg number.

This was in rural Usa and I wouldn't discount the officer having other motives in finding said car or in taking interest in the driver.

Nighthawk likes this.
  14. Nighthawk Guest

Ahh in the usa. That doesnt surprise me then. Very unlikely that would happen here.

Either way glad you got it sorted

15. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

If you park next to other cars... take pictures of the cars either side inc number plate and if there's damage when you come back... report it to the police as leaving the scene of an accident and give them the license plate of the car. They can get CCTV footage and they can find the owner of the car. Depending on how long you'd left the car for.

It might not lead to anyone admitting they did it... but it might at least give them a fright if they think people saw them and reported it.

One of the reasons I am very grateful my dad has a disabled badge as when out with him we can park in the wider spaces.

16. Nighthawk Guest

Its not a car accident as it is not on a road.

Taking pictures does not prove an offence and unless it captures an offence in the act, they are worthless.

SpeedyGee likes this.
  17. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Haven't we discussed this already LOL

Nighthawk likes this.
  18. Nighthawk Guest

Lol.... yup

19. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Dash cam could help.

20. exec Premium Member Club Supporter