General Car Rolls Backwards When Parked?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by sc489, Tuesday 2nd Aug, 2016.

1. sc489 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I park my manual Accord in my garage with the handbrake off and in neutral. Having parked, the car inevitably rolls back up to 1 ft. If I push it forward, it rolls back again to the same spot. I don't understand this since there is no compression force from the engine with the engine in neutral. The garage floor is level and I've also noticed this on other manual cars I've owned.

2. Smokingman Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John Lincoln
    That's one reason for a hand brake! Is your garage floor really level? is it different cars in the same garage? if so I suspect your floor is not level.

Dream of getting my Accord into the garage.

John Dickson likes this.
  3. sawf1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Poole
    Why do you leave the handbrake off?

4. sc489 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Less wear and tear on the handbrake mechanism, and I don't need a parking brake in the garage.

5. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You do, as your car rolls back.

John Dickson and chris2982 like this.
  6. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    So if you park it 1ft further back, it shouldn't move at all or will it?

John Dickson likes this.
  7. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Brett Bristol
    Seems a little odd not to use the handbrake as this is part of the car to stop rolling anyway.

8. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    If you are parking the car up for a long time period of weeks or more then i could understand the wear and tear aspect of keeping the cable under constant tension. Other than that...thats what the handbrake is for....to stop the car rolling.

What a bizarre post

qc2 likes this.
  9. Smokingman Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John Lincoln
    Bizarre indeed, or put a house brick or chock behind the wheel. Next jacking car up to save tires!

2.4 8thGen likes this.
  10. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Or at least leave it in gear so that it cannot roll. If it rolls backwards, leave it in first gear, if its rolls forwards, leave it in reverse.

Or don't drive it - you will put wear and tear on the suspension, engine and steering mechanism. But then by parking it, you are still putting stress on the suspension components. What to do - drive it and cause wear and tear, or don't drive it and still keep the suspension under pressure and therefore wear and tear on that. :Whistle:

11. Bounder Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Huan County Cork
    Use everything the way it was intended to be used , if it wears out, fix it
    Lots of mechanical things depend on regular use to work and not seize up.

12. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    buy a piece of timber e.g. 2.4m from Wickes for £2.99
    Wickes Studwork (Cls) 38 x 63 x 2400mm Single | Wickes.co.uk

lay it on the garage floor inline with the offside wheels (when the car isn't in there) and use a spirit-level to see if the floor really is flat, and look for any slight "hollows" under the timber
    then do the same for the nearside wheels

Racy Jace and Nighthawk like this.
  13. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    What if the planet moves a bit after you've done this? It may be safer to use the timber and spirit level as wheel chocks.

SayamaAccord likes this.
  14. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

450-earth-stopping-spinning.

15. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    Was this ever a serious thread??

16. vincemince Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Bizarre thread
    You could make four little hollows in the floor - one for each wheel to fall into and rest in

17. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm not sure that the OP's main intention in the thread is to ask for a way to park without having the handbrake on, the latter is only the reasoning behind is observation that the floor is flat. IMO the OP is puzzled as to why the car rolls with the handbrake off, on what he assumes is a perfectly flat area.

My Accord does the same thing, and as it's the CM2, the handbrake is prone to binding .....indeed sometimes (if it's been parked for a few days with the handbrake on), when I drive away there is a slight "bang" when the shoe frees from the drum. So like the OP I also don't park at home with the handbrake on, and like the OP I have also noticed the car rolls to specific positions.
    But unlike the OP, I haven't assumed that the area is perfectly flat.

18. sc489 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Oh joy - a serious reply as the thread has got silly. Yes, I've noticed the "bang" after releasing the handbrake when applied in wet weather which is another reason I don't apply the handbrake in the garage. I might have a slight hollow in the garage floor but it measures level with a long spirit level.

19. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    That being the case. Leaving your car in gear whether it is auto or manual is Hondas official stance on parking. On a level it will not add wear or strain to the gearbox. If in doubt put a chock under the wheel. At least rolling backwards shows your brakes aren't binding.

20. Kash Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Kash Nelson
    Agree with a few statements above. Always park in gear pending on incline/decline.