Off-Topic Car stereo of the past

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Duc de Pommfrit, Tuesday 1st Apr, 2014.

1. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    I used to be in awe of this stereo when I was young, think before this "4" speaker system people only had speakers on the rear shelf.

med_gallery_6200_10_110902.

2. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Telford
    I remember buying and fitting a state of the art Harry Moss 16watts per channel stereo radio in my Ford Cortina 1st Generation! It was the Dogs Whotsits in those days.
    When I hear the young lads ( and lasses) driving their speakers on wheels I wonder how many seconds my Harry Moss speakers would last if connected to their set up? Not many milliseconds I think!
    Mike c

3. ricksmith Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi
    I reckon that top stereo was out of a ford orion ghia injection if my memory serves me right. Had one back in n 1987/88. Didn't sound too bad for a car set up the insides of a car hardly being an anechoic chamber. Before the orion I had a 1st Generation rs turbo and that had a ford ecu1 stereo in it. I have still got said stereo in its original box on a shelf in my garage. Happy days. Everything is so serious nowadays.

4. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    Correct as only the Ghia got the EQ, all other models got the joystick beside the steering column for fade/balance.

5. ricksmith Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi
    I was right!!!! Mine also had the fuel computer on the right hand side of the steering wheel. can't remember if that was standard or an extra??