Electrical & Lights Car Won't Start

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by AccordCU2, Tuesday 31st Jan, 2012.

1. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I been having problems starting my car recently but not all the time.most days it start without problems and then it just won't start.when it does start it struggle to idle at first,around 300 RPM for few seconds and then shot up on normal RPM.battery has been tested in my local Honda.I put some BG 44 in it.this didn't bother me so far but now I am getting a bit worried because it happened quite few times now.I would take it to Honda for them to examine it but is hard to replicate this.any ideas chaps or advice will be much appreciated.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Thats a wired one for sure, could be one of the many sensors which may not be responding in a timely manner. if you can leave the car with the dealers them overnight with a loaner car and then they can have a look at it at different times.

If there a pattern to this .i.e only does this when its cold or on a hot engine.

3. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Always on cold engine but like i said sometimes it won't happen for days and then all of sudden it just won't start.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    How would you class the symptoms to your cars cold starting issues as engine is hard to start but it does fire and settles into a low RPM idle?.

When the engine is cold it should start and stay at 1500 RPM with a rich mixture until the car engine temperature reaches a normal operating range. The clues to this will be in the ECU within the PGM-FI menu

I think it could be a

• sticky throttle body,
    • the ecu needs to be taught the idle process again
    • low fuel pressure
    • clogged fuel filter

Let me know how you get along fella.

5. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

when it eventually start at first idle at around 300 RPM for a few sec and then shot up to 1500 and slowly goes down to 700-800 normal RPM.
    Now thing is this is only every now and then.it is fine usually.
    I don't think is any good me taking it to the dealer,it might happen while they got the car it might not.I think i will leave it till next service and take it to HH see what they say.
    i thought about fuel filter as i also have slight hesitation on cold engine.Car only done 22000 miles,should i change fuel filter now?

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    need to know what its doing first before get the part list ready:Wink:

7. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Can HDS pick up if anything is faulty or not doing what it should be doing even if there is no warning lights on dash or anything.might do that and see what happens.
    It does not bother me too much now and i got 11 months warranty remaining but its just annoying because i thought i will be problem free for at least some time hence why i sold my weasel in first place.

Last edited: Tuesday 31st Jan, 2012
  8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    if here is a fault related to a electrical sensor the ECU will pick it up and record it. The dash warnings are the final straw and only capture safety related issues and to much info on the dash can mislead you.

As for comparisons to the diesel don't even go there this will be something so basic it won't be worth loosing sleep over it. once its traced and fixed I will vouch it won't happen again.

You just not having any luck with cars are you..:Frown:

9. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It sure look like it.I am sure its nothing major but you know me,I don't like surprises and like everything to be spot on.when I book it for service I will ask for full diagnostic.only 280 days to go according to SvRS.

10. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

That's a bit annoying...possibly some sort of idle system problem or temperature sensor problem but who knows...no point guessing if the diagnostic machine will say...if it were me I would book it in now instead of waiting 280 days.

11. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I would but am a bit short of money now,quite at work and i don't have 100£ now to pay for diagnostic.i will definitely soon as i start working again

12. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Won't the warranty cover it?

13. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yes if they find something wrong but if everything is ok then i have to pay out of my pocket.

14. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Found this on internet,explain the exact same problem on my car.Any ideas fire away.
    Having problems starting after short drives
    [HR][/HR]
    I have this problem when the engine is cold. She starts up just fine initially, but if I only drive 2 or 3 blocks (not long enough to warm the engine up) and shut it off, when I go to restart a minute or two later, she won't.
    I have to depress the accelorator to the floor and hold it there and then start the engine. She'll start after a couple of seconds and i have to feather the throttle and she will sputter for a few more seconds, but then she'll come to life and be just fine. (The raw fuelsmell I get right afterward is rather euphoric) If I make the short trip but I don't try to restart it right away and instead leave it for 30 minutes or more than everything is fine. If the engine is at normal operating temperatures there is no problem. It only happens when the engine is cold and I have just made a short trip.

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    can't say a lot bud this is a bizarre one for sure, I didn't like the fact Honda moved the ECU from depths of the car into the engine bay.

16. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Definitely a weird one.
    Booked with Holdcroft for next wednesday.

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I may nipped by to have a look at this , as this is very intriguing for auto geeks like me.