Body, Paint & Styling Carbon fibre wrap center console? Please vote.

Discussion in '7th Generation (2001-2005)' started by RogerH69, Friday 3rd Oct, 2014.

?

How do you think this looks ?

1. Nice. Me Likey

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. No Thanks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Undecided

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  1. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    I saw this on a US model. My car dash is the same dark colour, so this is pretty much what mine would like with my Pioneer double din stereo (different model but same size as that shown in picture) and carbon fibre wrap on the center console. I would possibly compliment it with some carbon fibre wrap on other areas of the dash, and parts of the door handles as well.

1Eboy.

2. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Thats nice, would be a nice easy mod to do as well.

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I looks good but personally I wouldn't for black... the dash would look like one big wall of black.

@Nighthawk you say its easy but I've done one of these before, it's quite time consuming. You have to heat the wrap to get it to form all the shapes and contour of the console.

4. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Yeah, seems the most 'difficult' part would be removing whatever is being wrapped. However, with my OCD, I'd would drive me nuts if I didn't get the wrap to perfectly match up on the top and bottom parts of the console :Aghast:
    - - - Updated - - -
    Me likey black,. but good point.

Time is something I have a lot of :Smile:

5. Nighthawk Guest

If it were me, I would lay both of those parts on the floor as they are in the car, with a little 10mm gap or so in between them. Then lay the carbon fibre over the entire thing so the "strands" and effect are going in the same direction and angle, and then just cut it down the middle and fold it over so it blends in perfectly with your eyes.

Thats a nice easy little project really. Clean it all nicely, lay the material, cut it, use heatgun to give it the right curves etc, reassemble the facia, put the thingback together. I like it. We want pics :clap:

6. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Lol - after writing my response about OCD, I thought exactly the same as what you described, @Nighthawk

If I go ahead and do it, I'll definitely take some pics as I go along.

7. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

What about Hydro Dipping? My daughter has had parts of her car done and it looks pretty good.

Bones126 likes this.
  8. Nighthawk Guest

That stuff is brilliant, love the effect they do on alloy wheels. No idea of the expense though??

9. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I personally think carbon-fibre wrap can look cheap and nasty. It depends on the finish, it can turns a fairly respectable looking interior into something more "unrefined", but some of the higher-end stuff does look the part. I personally recommend the 3M 1080 Series, I used Brushed Titanium wrap for all my trim pieces and they really look the part.

It's not too difficult at all, you'd be surprised how easy the stuff is to work with. I managed to successfully following the "pattern" around a 90 degree bend covering 3 separate pieces with no issue, and it was my first time. Some of my thoughts below:

More pictures of the finished result here and then for my '07 that they were eventually ported to on the garage page.

10. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hydrotek custom coatings try him he's on Facebook my daughter said not expensive. You basically select your coating send what you want doing and he does it. I'll get some photos up later

11. accordheritage Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England York
    About hydro dipping. We have a guy who'd do a good deal. We are hopefully going up in the 7th gens to have a look at the process. Price can be cheaper than wrapping and it's ink so cannot be easily damaged.

+1 for dipping.

Will report back once my grille has been done.

Ichiban and DeviateDefiant like this.
  12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Nice one, look forward to hearing a proper review on dipping.

13. toyracer69 Junior Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

London
    I wrapped my fake carbon in my ATR for a better effect. Looks much better to me. :Grin:
    int1.

Last edited by a moderator: Monday 6th Oct, 2014
    Bones126 likes this.
  14. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    I voted undecided as I'm not too keen on the fibre pattern in the first pic, with the bike I had quite a few carbon fibre parts and love the look. So if you find a good quality and realistic looking wrap I think it would look very good.

15. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm in two minds:

It looks good but chavvy - but at the same time I'd be guilty of "chavvy" mods. Thing is, it wouldn't be considered chavvy if chavs didn't implement it. Still, I like it.

16. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Those damn chavs making everything chavvy.

MickyB and Bones126 like this.