Exhaust System Cat heat shields

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by AccordMavman, Wednesday 6th Jul, 2016.

1. AccordMavman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Cheshire
    Hi all

So I changed my oil yesterday, and noticed that the cat heat shields are looking their years, to the extent the trailing edge of the upper shield has corroded, meaning it's no longer secured by the original bolt. It's not rattling, but I've popped a jubilee clip round it anyway to secure it.

What's the consensus of opinion on how important the cat heat shields are on an I-CTDI? Am I right in thinking a diesel catalyst doesn't get as hot as a petrol one? Can you buy the heat shields separately from the cat for the diesel, or do they only come as part of a new cat?

Would appreciate thoughts on how soon this should be looked at.

Thanks all..

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    AccordMavman likes this.
  3. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Mine have been off for about 2 years now as they rotted away where they bolt together can't say I've noticed any difference without them and it's still passed MOT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    People with no cat shields just hope no dry combustible rolls under the car and parks itself under the cat.:Tumbleweed:

AccordMavman and SpeedyGee like this.
  5. AccordMavman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cheers for that. I certainly didn't plan on running without one, as I often find myself out in the sticks, which can mean parking on grass, so I know this wouldn't be a great combination!

Would this be a dealer only part? Take it they're easy to fit...

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    It's easy on a Petrol, not sure on a Diesel.

7. AccordMavman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Gracias...:Smile:

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Same process like Petrol cars.This is the diesel diagram. Item 5 & 6 5
    item 5 18181RBDE00 COVER COMP., LOWER
    item 6 18182RBDE00 COVER COMP., UPPER you will need to order some bolts and nuts too item 21 and 22 , 4 each.

B__0202.

AccordMavman likes this.
  9. AccordMavman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cheers for this CJ, really helpful. It looks simple enough for my limited abilities and toolkit! I'll call HH to see how much they want for them...:Smile:

10. AccordMavman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just spoken to HH, they've quoted a reasonable £55 for each of the shields. However they did quote £5 for each bolt, & @ £3:50 for each nut. They did admit this seemed pricey, but said it may be because they're heat treated.

Do you think it's important that I get the nuts & bolts from HH because of this? £34 for 4 nuts & bolts seems a lot, but at the same time I don't want a pair of new shields falling off just because I've used standard fixings. Would welcome your opinion..:Messed:

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    They are heat treated but if you get titanium bolts from Pro bolt you will see that will cost over 40 quid!!

AccordMavman likes this.
  12. AccordMavman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Wow. HH for the lot it is then! The prices quoted are before HK discount, so this will reduce it a little more.
    Cheers for the info, I will get them ordered before the end of the summer...:beach: