General Cat stolen

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by exec, Tuesday 21st Oct, 2014.

1. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Do add to my car woes, today I went to the car to get the oil leak fixed, and lo and behold, switch the engine on and it starts with a thunderous roar!

Some 'person', probably the same 'person' who stole the cat off my dad's accord has stolen the cat off mine!

Not really sure what to do now. :Frown:

Does anyone know if thirst party cat converters work well? they seem to be around £30 which seems cheap but I am wondering how the o2 sensor plugs into them.

Edit: I fully understand you being very angry, I would too, but I have replaced some words so your post conforms with Club Rules ~ Nels

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Oh my god ! Sorry to hear that man, that's just crazy.

How on earth do they steal a cat, those things are darn hard to take off.

exec likes this.
  3. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    they don't take the cat off, they use those massive long shears and cut your exhaust on the mid section and the bit after the cat, so you have to replace 4 parts, mid section, cat, o2 sensor and the exhaust section after cat. I am probably looking at a grands worth of damage, who knows what else they could have stolen, car feels violated!

I would cry to scrap this car, but I am contemplating it now.

Just when I made a massive saving on insurance, I get another bill.

4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I'm really sorry to read what's happened. Will the insurance cover this? It is, after all, theft?

exec likes this.
  5. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Probably, but not worth claiming, will just jump up my premiums and others who own this car aswell.

Not one to hang around, as I need the car, so bit the bullet and handed the car into the garage who is replacing the mid, cat and downpipe, £300 for the lot and I still need to buy the 02 sensor which should be around £80, thats pretty much more than the cars worth and theres no guarantee they won't nick the cheap third party cat either to make a fiver. This is why we need vigilante law since the police don't care about crimes like this, infact they don't care about more serious ones! :HobbyHorse:

I tell you one thing the car sounds awesome with half the exhaust on, wish I hammered it a bit more :vtec:
    - - - Updated - - -
    Also just to add, any 6g owners in London, do watch out for your cars, they are a very common target for the original cat, as they are worth a lot.

6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

You were quick out of the blocks! At least you'll have your car back on the road.
    For what it's worth, the police are targeted on the number of crimes reported. I know many that actively discourage reporting unless they can solve them. If there are enough reported, then they will do something about it as they don't want their figures going pear shaped.
    However, your reasons for not are also valid and I respect that too.

exec likes this.
  7. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    ^ Yep true, but really don't fancy hanging around 3 hours in a station to report it, they won't do anything for that reason, I know i'm just adding to that by not reporting it, but can't be arsed won't get my money or cat back and they won't catch the thieves, even if they did they won't get a prison sentence or anything suitably punishable.

Managed to find an original OEM o2 sensor on ebay for £40 hopefully it works, but if anyone ever needs to replace theirs the only 3rd party one that works in by NTK/NGK, do not buy bosch and don't buy denso or any other ones they won't work and you will get the MIL coming on.

8. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Incredibly sorry to hear this but unfortunately you are correct about 6th Generation owners being targeted in London. This isn't the first instance I've heard of cat theft from a 6th and sadly it won't be the last.

If you don't me asking, whereabouts was the car parked and was it on a driveway or on the street? Reason being most of the thefts I've heard of have been in South East mainly on the street.

exec likes this.
  9. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    It's parked on the street (i live in a flat), but the street I park on is sort of a semi posh private-like side road with a dead end, its a quiet road and not somewhere you exactly go in search of a target car. Since my dad's one got nicked (in another part of the area), I was kinda expecting my one to get nicked at some point, used to avoid parking at the front of the street since that so it doesn't catch the eye of a scum thief, but thats not gonna stop em I guess!

Oh just to say too when My dad's one got nicked, it was in broad daylight in a busy road with cctv. Someone on another Accord forum also had theirs nicked from in front of their house.

I would love to catch one of these scumbags in the act one day and give them a good kick in.

10. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Disgusting - there is no way to prevent this sort of thing happening tbh but I'm very tempted to get a rear dash cam installed so at least we can get the faces of these thieving pricks.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Portable hack saw to cut the pipe pieces of cake , they have been stolen for the valuable metals within the CAT. There is 150 quid worth of valuable metals in each when melted down. Nick 10 you are onto a winner.
    BBC News - Catalytic converter thefts double as metal prices rise

Really sorry for the loss mate.. you need to reported it, the rossers will be on high alert as this metal will soon be handed in for cash somewhere.

Clips like this don't help as smack heads now know how to do it.

Last edited: Tuesday 21st Oct, 2014
    exec likes this.
  12. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    *wrong thread*