Engine & Gearbox Catalyst Breaking Down

Discussion in '1st Generation (1995-2001)' started by bigbezz, Sunday 17th Aug, 2014.

1. bigbezz Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Bigbezz Lancashire uk
    hi guys, just wondered if any of you have come across this on your motor,engine light came on and stayed on,so went to garage and they plugged in the code reader and it came up with "your catalytic converter is breaking down",any one else had this??

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I don't think that would be an OBD code.

Do you know what the actual code was ?

bigbezz likes this.
  3. bigbezz Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

no mate idid not see code but it was on the screen written as catalyst breaking down.

4. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Two years ago the cat on my HR-V started to rattle a lot never had any warning lights or anything come on but was told by a garage that the CAT was kaput... So I ordered a replacement from the Internet (Catman) and had it fitted, whenit went for its MOT earlier this year it failed the emissions test and I was told it was breaking down. I had previously used Cataclean to try and reduce the emissions and clean the cat out. But it didn't have any of it. I gave the car a good run the following day over to Buxton to a friend of a friends garage and it passed with no problem. He told me to run Cataclean through it again in a couple of months whichihaventdone yet because the car seems to be responding very well so I'll give it another dose in a month or so.
    But certainly I never had any warning lights whatsoever.

bigbezz likes this.
  5. bigbezz Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

just thought,did your HR-V have a lambda sensor on cat, mine does so maybe that is what is showing the fault?.

6. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

yes it has but the Cataclean cleans it.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Nice would like to know what machine and what the DTC was, most probably it's nothing

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Snake oil ..worthless get lead wrapped around your right foot ,it's the best thing since slice bread.

9. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

no its not its a myth,now shut up sit down in the naughty corner and then go back away on your motorbike old un:lol:

10. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Did you ever get to the bottom of this @bigbezz?

11. bigbezz Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

well at the moment i am going to get a new cat fitted and hope that fixes the problem,have been quoted £140 parts and fitted,seems a good price :Smile:.

12. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

That does seem a good price, hopefully that'll nip the issue in the bud :Smile:

13. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just keep us updated matey

14. bigbezz Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

since my earlier posts i have replaced all the exhaust from downpipe back,still getting engine check light and obd reader says threshold 1 is no good or something of that nature,getting fed up now costing me more than the car is worth :Frown:

15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Oh dear !

Can I go back to my original question, what is the OBD code you are getting? I'm after the four digit number Pxxxx

16. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

@SpeedyGee is right @bigbezz, you need to actual DTC code first to go about diagnosing this properly.

17. bigbezz Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi guys this is the obd reading -
    P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)

18. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

As you've replace the lot I'd say your next port of call is to make sure it's reading everything right - ie. replace the Lambda sensor. Bank 1 is the only bank on inline engines, it's still saying the cat is stuffed.

19. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    This is a generic statement which outline what the code means .

I am looking at the Honda's version of troubleshooting it.