Fuel Efficiency Catalytic Converter - Auto or Manual...?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by thunder2, Tuesday 2nd Apr, 2013.

1. thunder2 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've got a 2004, 2.4 Petrol, Manual Accord and the engine management light is on. I've been told that the Cat's listed as the problem but, I can't find the exact cat that I need. Will it be the same cat used on the Manual and the Automatic? Is it just a cat from a 2.4 that will fit?

And, is it me or are Honda part numbers and specs really hard to come by...?

2. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    Use Lings for the part numbers. You do need to delete some of the text in the address but it's easy to door. What year and model is your car?

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    What is the exact code that is coming up ?

4. thunder2 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Not sure what the exact error code is until I go back to the garage. He just said something like "The catalytic converter has not returned the required reading..." (by which time my brain was thinking of the flux capacitor!).

My model is a 2004 2.4 Exec, 6 speed manual. I can get hold of another cat but it's from a 2004, 2.4 Exec, Auto. Is the cat in an Auto the same as in the Manual?

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Take it to another garage and get a second opinion before you spend any hard earned money.

Ichiban likes this.
  6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    yes need to know that I won't believe the cat will fail that quickly.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Dude I can see you being railroaded here you need to get out of that garage now. walk away!

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Yes it definatley looks like that garage is trying to pull a fast one.

This is why I asked for the code so that we can tell you what the issue is.

What that garage has told you so far is total nonsense. It's probably an O2 sensor heater code. That doesn't mean you need a new cat though.