General Catalytic converter stolen

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by matt park, Tuesday 17th Mar, 2015.

1. matt park Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

matt North London
    I've just had my cat nicked off my 6th Generation accord. I was warned by Brayley Honda about this when i bought the car and now it's happened i'm thoroughly f****d off with the scum that have done it and also would like to ask you guys if there is anything that can be done to prevent it happening again??

I have a car alarm with tilt sensors but it didn't go off so they obviously haven't jacked the car up. They've 'snipped' at the exhaust and at the drop down pipe from underneath the car.

Are there any aftermarket cat protectors (or can one be made) that can be welded to the underside of the car to stop them being stolen?? My fear is that i will get a new cat fitted and they'll come and nick it again.

I hope this hasn't happened to anybody else on here, but if it has, something has to be done

What a crap morning!!

2. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

matt park likes this.
  3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Sorry to hear that @matt park, someone else posted a while back that they had a cat stolen, I think they were also from London.

matt park likes this.
  4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I am in London (Tolworth) this week and hope they don't nick my Jazz cat. Sorry to hear about your loss mate.

matt park likes this.
  5. matt park Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

matt North London
    Just asked catlocks but they don't do one for an accord. Any other suggestions??

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    mate have a look at catalytic converter anti theft on google then images some funny anti theft devices.

matt park likes this.
  7. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Sorry to hear than man and join the gang, I was the one who had mine nicked around 6/7 months ago, there is a thread somewhere, and my dad's Accord also had it nicked a month earlier to me which was subsequently scrapped as a result.

I had to fit a crappy el cheapo cat, which has somewhat ruined the car and cost me a fortune, well more then its should have cost, they won't nick aftermarket cats, they only go for the OEM cat on these Accords, as they are worth a few bob with the precious metals inside. Scum of the earth these people and I hope karma gets to them in a bad way.

matt park likes this.
  8. matt park Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

matt North London
    How do you mean 'somewhat ruined the car'?? I'm guessing the performance is compromised but how badly??

I'm getting an aftermarket one fitted as the OEM is too expensive. Brayley Honda quoted me £1930 for parts and labour

9. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Basically it's made the car sound like some banger, its dampened the VTEC noise no long as throaty, its killed my o2 sensor and the EML is on, and when VTECing, there seems to be a flat spot, the revs dip a bit before climbing again, throttle response is actually quicker on tap probably veause the aftermarket cat is less retsrictive. I plan on looking at a custom exhaust setup and sports cat nearer to insurance time, because this exhaust is just shite.

The OEM is too expensive and not worth it, you pay 2k and I can guarantee you it will get stolen again, so just get an aftermarket one, get a sports cat if you can, or pay a little extra for something better quality, my one is a £60 job from ECP.

matt park likes this.
  10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Guys how about claiming on your insurance provided its a comprehensive policy?

matt park likes this.
  11. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Tolworth is a decent area, but it's only a few minutes down the A3 from where I live where I got the letter about cat converters getting nicked.
    - - - Updated - - -
    @matt park sorry to hear about that, whereabouts London are you? There's not much you can do about them getting stolen, the best way to prevent it from happening I've heard about so far is what @Pottermus has done and fit a top of the range alarm system.

matt park likes this.
  12. matt park Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

matt North London
    I've got a toad alarm with tilt sensors and they still got it. How much money can you chuck at a car?? Seems they will find a way past whatever you obstruct them with.

I'm in Crouch End, which is a really nice area. But still accessible to the people that have put me out of pocket.

13. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    I appreciate not everyone has one so this is aimed at drivers in general, but if you do happen to have a garage, rather than use it to store junk in, use it to store your car. You will get lower insurance premiums, protection from the elements and lower the chance of someone pinching your cat

FirstHonda and matt park like this.
  14. matt park Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

matt North London
    Dear Santa.....please bring me a garage and a nice shed. I promise i'll be good
    - - - Updated - - -
    Having said that Santa, if you could just frony up the doshi'm going to have to give my mechanic tomorrow that would be great....

@exec I will report back with how she performs after her operation. Fingers crossed everything will be ok

15. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    @Ichiban Problem with that is your still paying out of your own pocket with increase in premium, and it won't help others who own the same car if the insurers decide the car is high theft target.

Having a top of the range alarm is also absolutely pointless, it won't do anything, these thieves are in and out within 1-2minutes, an alarm will do sweet all, my dads one even got nicked in broad daylight on a busy road, there are three cars that mainly targeted, 6th Generation Accord, Sharan/Galaxy and some other car can't remember, the problem is the cat on these is so easy to get to, my dad's newish car for example has the car within the engine bay between subframe, impossible to get to, something like that is useless to thieves as its time consuming. These gangs also travel around hunting down cars, doesn't matter if you live in a posh area, my car was parked in a quiet dead end residential street in a posh area, so they just drive around every road hunting for a target.

@mattpark you should be fine, just avoid buying cheap tat otherwise buy cheap buy twice, I should have just gone to kwik fit, there parts are decent, they use Bosal I think.

matt park likes this.
  16. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That's the issue I have too, I just don't see the point of protecting against it when the cars value is very little but you already had a good alarm!
    As for your replacement, avoid React converters as @exec has said, they're shit. Hope the replacement works well bud.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Almost pointless, you're going to be paying for the privilege of the insurers fixing it for 5 years which will easily top the amount you would have paid if done privately.

matt park likes this.
  17. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Really sorry to read about the theft @matt park. I hope you can get it sorted soon.

matt park and Nighthawk like this.
  18. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    @matt park a good garage can fashion you up some sort of cage. The main thing is making it hard to get the battery recip saw in at the exhaust. Think like the pikey b@@@@@ds and even a couple of steel straps bolted across the exhaust channel should be sufficient. Needs to be tight to the exhaust though because of fouling the floor.

matt park likes this.
  19. matt park Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

matt North London
    Thanks for that Beefy. It's hard to know what to do, especially if they are only after the OEM cat, not the aftemarket one. I guess putting some kind of deterrent on it but still making the cat visible so they can see it's not original may be the way forward. I like the idea of steel straps, anything that would turn a 1-2 minute job into a ball ache has to be worth a shout

I'm not totally convinced they used the recip saw you mentioned. The exhaust was an elliptical shape where they had cut it, that says to me that they used some sort of pincer, rather than a saw. Who knows....??

Once again, thanks for all the tips, info, knowledge and support chaps.

20. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Hope you get something sorted mate, sorry to read about this. let us know how you go about securing it in the future please, anything to stop the scum of the earth getting their hands on what's not there's!

matt park likes this.