Off-Topic CCTV DVR

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Chunkylover53, Friday 18th Apr, 2014.

1. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

For a few years now I've been installing CCTV systems for small local businesses as a summer job. So far so good, but one of my DVRs that I set up around 5 years ago failed so the owner called me back in to see what I could do about it. Initially I planned on replacing the DVR but he gave me a specific list that he wanted me to adhere to but I'm not sure how I can do so within a budget of £200.

The point I'm struggling with is that the customer wants to backup the weekends recordings to watch at home. Keeping in mind that the DVR cannot backup that many hours to DVD and the fact that he doesn't want to install broadband. This made me think more retro in the form of VHS 24hr time lapse which he is happy with but it's not manufactured anymore, so I ask, is there a time lapse DVD recording DVR (is it even possible)?

My other plan was to buy those tiny PC's and fit a USB BNC CCTV system which could backup to a USB which he could view at home but I can't find any reliable USB DVR devices, do you guys have any recommendations?

Or is there another way that I'm missing completely?
    Thanks for reading :Smile:

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the system is for a small low turnover firm so 4ch DVR is ample. There are already 4 600TVL cams installed via BNC so that is not an issue. Currently the DVR is connected to TV via SCART :lol: but VGA + HDMI is possible.

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

In a former life, we used time lapse VCR's connected to multi-camera systems.
    They needed another control system to be able to view individual cameras, pan, zoom etc
    However, if viewing 4 at a time is ok, then here are some...

time lapse vcr | eBay

The S-VHS Panasonics were pretty good and could record in standard mode.
    However, these things were recording 24/7, apart from when you changed the tapes.
    Tape speed could be altered so a 240 tape could last the weekend, but at lower quality.

Hope that helps

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Could you stream the DVR output over the internet to some central storage ?

Or replicate the stored files using something like Dropbox ?

4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Unfortunately @SpeedyGee the guy doesn't want to install broadband.
    If he did, there are plenty of DVRs that can stream/access through the net.
    I have set up systems like that. Live view via the net, anywhere in the world.
    He can also then record every weekend onto his home hard drive.

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Ah yeah, sorry totally missed that point. Speedy was speed reading again :telloff:

6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

No need to beat yourself up about it. :ShelfShoot:

There are plenty who would do it for you :Baseballbat:

SpeedyGee likes this.
  7. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I installed a time lapse vcr when I was 12 but even then I had to buy it used and when it failed after two years I had no recouse and installed a dvr instead. The customer is more than happy with the vcr method and I'm using the 10 year old switcher as a way to display the cameras on the screen whilst I look into a new method. So either I wait for a new one on ebay and get a square trade warranty or go for a PC cctv system which hopefully is reliable enough?

8. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

How much data would a weekends worth of recording come to sizewise, because I can buy a 3g router and I can get cheap data for him?

Thanks for the input guys

9. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Data will depend on resolution and number of cameras.
    Mine is set on motion detection, so it takes forever to start re-writing the HDD

10. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I use IP cameras and have all recorded data stored on my home server, it has built in motion detection and the rest - can check it from wherever I am and also get emailed still shots from when they're triggered.

Even without the server a lot of cheap IP cameras have the same functionality albeit the footage is either stored on an SD card, or has to be processed by a PC to store it long term. You could sort this out for £30-40 a camera if you're not after HD resolution.

11. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Need constant recording, that means the 3g option is out
    I thought about this it'll come to over £200.

Anyway I ended up telling him that he could either:
    1) Set up a PC DVR system circa £250
    2) Replace DVR like for like at £80/£150
    3) I can buy time lapse VCR with no warranty

So I'm waiting back on him, he's also going to ask pro firms but I doubt they'll come up with anything without broadband capabilities under £200. Life goes on..

12. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I think £250 can be beaten. You can run the current cameras straight in via a TV-input card and record 24/7 to hard-drive on a rolling backup. For example keeping latest X weeks worth of recordings. A 32GB USB stick will be enough to store the weeks recordings for his viewing over the weekend off-site.

13. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

So a PC with PCI card with BNC input which records to HDD which he backups to USB?

Will it stay on constantly without BSOD's and crap though, Linux a possibility?

14. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I'd steer clear of Linux for this one but because from personal experience over the years, video encoding and graphics handling has always been a pain in the arse on it.

Instead I'd just make sure that the BIOS is capable of setting a power resume to the previous state when there's a powercut and the software is loaded automatically in the start-up. Don't know how you are with PCs, but I'd say build it yourself with a single-redundancy RAID1 250GB HDD set-up and a reputable PSU (Seasonic/Corsair/OCZ get my vote). Cheap-ass £15 case, Intel Atom CPU, an ASUS motherboard and 2GB of DDR3. That should be good enough for the purposes and still run within budget of £200.

15. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Haven't built since Pentium 4 but can't be too different and off the top of my head its £150 all in which is good.

That said when you mentioned TV card it hit me that there are 24 hour DVD recorders by Sony, it'll be just like the VCR time lapse which is a big plus but Sony stopped production so now I've gotta call the guy and run these ideas past him. I prefer the PC idea purely cos it gives me an excuse to make one after all this time but we'll see.

Thanks for your input bud :Friends:

16. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Not a problem, keep us updated. PC definitely gives the greatest flexibility, DVR definitely gives the easiest solution.

17. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It's not technically a DVR so not sure how long it'll last, I rather go for a Panasonic product but they don't do 24hrs.

But yeah I'd rather the PC, doubt an old technophobe would especially seeing as I wouldn't be there if something went wrong.

BTW are you proposing DVR software on windows or a DVR based OS if such a thing exists? (also I gotta factor in DVR program license costs if any)

18. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I was using DVR (Digital Video Recorder) in the sense of any plug and play recording device, like a DVD recorder. I suppose it really applies to everything mentioned :Laughing:

The issue here really is the lack of net connection there, with broadband you could just log in/out of the machine and keep tabs on it as needed.

19. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yeah I got you but I wasn't sure about the use of a consumer grade product for constant business use :Smile:

I probably could in that case cos 3G SIM 1gb would be enough to launch logmein and the sorts - 3g router is around £30 and sims are a fiver each so thats £200.

The more I add to this, the more he's gonna go for the DVD Recorder option which I guess is workable - will keep you guys updated.

20. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Yeah that's a viable option though you'd have to stop the PC from using bandwidth and draining credit if you planned to keep it running 24/7. Too many failure points IMO. Anyway, keep us posted :Smile: