Electrical & Lights Central Locking Issue

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Karl_T, Tuesday 3rd Feb, 2015.

1. Karl_T Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Karl_T UK
    Help. Something wierd is happeneing. I tried to open my car this morning with the remote button. Nothing. When you press 'lock' there was an audible noise from the car, but on unlock 'nothing' and the car remained locked. So I went and got the spare key, but had exactly the same result. I tried the 1st key again and the doors opened. So, late for work, I set off.
    I get to work and have to check to see if all is OK. It wasn't, I was back to square 1. So I figured I'd try sticking the key in the lock and opening it that way. At this point the alarm goes off. Pressing the unlock button does nothing, so I stuck the key in the ignition thinking if it was a battery problem then maybe at least that would ping the chip in the key or something. Nope. Engine now running but alarm still blaring. There then followed much frantic button pushing and eventually the alarm stopped.

Not looking forward to 5pm now.

Any ideas?

The odd thing is all the time I could hear the locking mechanism activate when I pressed the lock button. So sender and reciever would seem OK. Its like it just ignored the unlock/disarm.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Hmmm, odd one that !
    Try disconnecting the car battery for 20 mins or so.

Could be an alarm module failure.

3. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    How old is your car battery?

4. Karl_T Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Karl_T UK
    Don't know how old the battery is. I've only had the car a month. It was cold this morning, but its been colder. And it starts OK. (Apparently even when alarmed.) So plenty of juice I think.
    Don't understand what fault could let it lock AOK, but not unlock.

5. Karl_T Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Karl_T UK
    Think I've worked out why the alarm went off. It would seem I may well have activated the 'super locking' function by pressing lock twice in quick succession. (Which I was doing to listen to the door motors.) The manual says once you've engaged that you can only turn off the security with the unlock remote button, which wasn't working. I'll try disconnecting the battery tonight, and flinging in some new remote batteries. see what happens. I don't think its a remote battery issue as up til today the remotes have worked from a good range.

6. Karl_T Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Karl_T UK
    A quick sanity check chaps. This morning drivers door opens OK. I drive to work, get out of the car and then can't open the rear door, so I push the unlock button repeatedly and nothing. However it locks and then unlocks OK. Is that a normal sequencing thing or was it ignoring the fob again?

7. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Would it be worth changing the battery in the key fob?

8. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    I used to get locks sticking during cold weather

9. Karl_T Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Karl_T UK
    Mr Fire, I have a pair on order, but a few things make me doubt the fob batteries, 1 it always reacts to 'lock', 2 when its in a good mood I can unlock it from 20m away. 3 both fobs suddenly dieing at the same time. Anyways I'm gonna swap them as soon as Amazon deliver, I'm not anticipating it'll help, but its one thing I have to rule out.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Moob, can you tell me more?

10. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    Not a lot mate, I just noticed that sometimes either the passengers door or rear doors got jammed in cold temperatures. It would resolve once the weather improved and a wee bit of wd40 into the locks would help prevent it

11. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    The drivers door in my accord is sticking a little at the moment so this could be another factor to consider?

12. Karl_T Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Karl_T UK
    Hmmm. Would think the hazards would still flash. And I'm 99% certain they don't. Will pay more attention next time. Local Honda garage wants a couple of days to investigate doesn't think warranty will cover all the work. :0( Gotta rule out the obvious before resorting to that.
    Karl