Body, Paint & Styling Centre armrest sliding top part disassembly

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by harombetus, Friday 7th Mar, 2014.

1. harombetus Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Beavis Europe, Hungary
    How can I disassemble the centre armrest top sliding part?
    More specifically, how can I separate the sliding leather top part from the rail?

Mine is creaking (any creaking in the car is driving me CRAAZY), and I want to clean it up inside and lubricate it, and get to the bottom of what's creaking. I got the whole part off the centre console (leather sliding top part + rail) but don't know how to separate the two (already got the 4 visible screws out in the front), don't want to break it!

Thanks for any help!
    (it's a pre-facelift)

Bests,
    Beavis

2. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    There is a thread which explains it but I'm unable to find it at the minute. have a go with the search function and see what tuns up.

Essentially there is a one way clip which also acts as a stop to stop the arm rest extending to far and coming off. This clip needs to be bent back to allow the leather top to slide off and apart.

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
  4. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    I did see that one speedy thanks but I thought there was another one but I can't seem to find it. I must mistaken.

5. harombetus Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Beavis Europe, Hungary
    Thanks so much!
    That's the thread I found too.

Where do you reach in to bend the clip and with what? Flat-head screwdriver? And where is it?
    I don't see it unfortunately... tried to peek inside with a strong light too

Bests,
    Beavis

6. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Extend the arm rest, then if you push a thin screwdriver or something flat between the plastic underside of the padded top and the 2 clips which hold the tray in place there's a metal clip in the middle which needs to be depressed. The top should then release and slide off. You may have to do it more by feel than by eye.

If you can't follow what I've said (I know the description isn't very good) I'll take a photo tomorrow to demonstrate where it is.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  7. harombetus Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Beavis Europe, Hungary
    Thank you Doc, I'll try it later tonight and report back.

Bests,
    Beavis

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Beavis any feedback did you cure this ?

9. harombetus Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Beavis Europe, Hungary
    I didn't find the clip but I put some more WD-40 in the rails and the creaking was gone completely so I leave it like that for now, and I'll see if any of the sound comes back.
    It wasn't that bad (only in certain positions, but I could reproduce it reliably) but I'm going crazy from repetitive high-pitched squeaky and creaky sounds in the cabin, however small.

Thanks for the help though!

Bests,
    Beavis

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    cool if you are happy with that :GoodJob: