ICE & HFT Centre console lights & LCD display not working after fitting aftermarket head unit

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by gaz3434, Wednesday 13th Feb, 2013.

1. gaz3434 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi folks,

I recently had an aftermarket head unit fitted in my 7th Generation Accord (in place of the centre storage compartment below the existing head unit) by a local car electrics place and when I pointed out that the centre console lights for ventilation etc and the OEM LCD display were no longer working, the guy told me that it wasn't possible to have them illuminated once and aftermarket head unit has been fitted. Can anyone please verify if this is true, as I suspect he's wrong about that!

Many thanks in advance for you help,
    Gary

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Re: Centre console lights & LCD display not working after fitting aftermarket head un

Wrong they should be able to work even with a double din unit, it would seem the sparky has than the source for power from you know where.. :telloff:

3. gaz3434 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Re: Centre console lights & LCD display not working after fitting aftermarket head un

Hi again all,

Well, after taking my car back to the original autospark to speak to him about this issue, he categorically told me that it can't be done so I took it to another autospark who had a look at it and told me the same thing - there's no way it can be done without the use of some sort of ISO cable splitter. I've searched around the internet and asked a few questions of online car electrics retailers and they seem to be saying the same thing!

Surely some of the forum members on here have done this successfully before: installed an aftermarket single DIN head unit below the OEM unit and still be able to see the clock, heater controls & air con controls etc? Can someone please tell me how this is done, because it's doing my head in! Surely it can't be that difficult to take a power feed from somewhere to get the OEM LCD display for the heater controls working again, can it?!

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Gary

4. ru55ell75 New Member Getting Started

Gaz, did you get a solution to this? I have been running about for the last 2yrs with no display working as well....luckily I know the order the blowers cycle in when you press the buttons so can still select screen blowers or feet blowers quite easily LOL, face blowers are obvious when on and I know id-f it is too hot or cold so temp display doesn't really matter. would be nice for all the displays to work correctly though!!!
    I
    changed the headunit as I thought this was the easiest way to get Bluetooth, telephone, aux and USB connections into the car and then got the same issue as yourself. i forget about it for 6 months and then it winds me up enough to try and source a solution again but I never seem to get to the bottom of it.

Todays finds are autoleads SOT-047 (Premium OEM Audio) and SOT-091 (STD OEM system) which seem to suggest they plug into existing stereo and new unit. They do say they are designed for use with Parrot systems but could with someone telling me if they have used these with success on an aftermarket headunit insteads and to clarify which one to use. Install instructions or a link to would be great.

Good Luck,

Matt

5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants

There's several different solutions for aftermarket audio that people normally go for.

• You can buy an input box for the factory unit to handle USB/SD/Bluetooth/Aux. XCarLink, GROM and Eonon have all been tested by members of the board.
    • You can buy an aftermarket head unit which has everything most people need, bluetooth, sat nav and all the rest.
    • You can buy a single DIN adapter with loom, although his leaves the factory unit in place with several now redundant features.
    • Or you can get a double DIN conversion plate which remove the unit entirely, has all the heater controls that are needed, but leaves all the other functionality to whatever unit you want to put in of your choices.

6. gaz3434 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Matt,

No, I never did find a solution to the OEM LCD display and centre console lights not working. I don't drive the car that much but when I do I'm like you where I get the urge to try to resolve it but then the urge passes, lol! I had planned to take the car to a well-known ICE installer here in NI and explain my problem to them to see if they can suggest a fix.

I did look into the SOT lead solution, but as I said, I emailed an autoleads supplier (incartec.co.uk) who told me they didn't have a lead that would sort my problem out. It would be good to know if one of these SOT leads would fix our issue, as they are fairly cheap compared to the other options that DeviateDefiant mentions.

If I do eventually find a solution I'll post it on here to let you know!

Cheers
    Gaz