Engine & Gearbox CG Motorsport Clutch

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by fastphil, Friday 21st Nov, 2014.

1. fastphil Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Phil United Kingdom
    Has anyone fitted one of there clutches to there CR-V? i know they are mentioned over on civicinfo forum but has anyone here tried there clutch looking at getting there 666 kit

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I can't recall anyone mentioning having used one of those clutches on here Phil.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  4. fastphil Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Phil United Kingdom
    thanks for the feedback guys Ichiban what have u got against them? they seem to get good reviews on civicinfo

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Civic boys are easily impressed but they don't see the long term issues as crankwalk which will happen, but its easier to bury your head in sand and hope it does not happen.

I am all for improved products but this is your daily drive not a 10000 mile car then a full engine rebuild.

6. fastphil Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Phil United Kingdom
    will a standard honda clutch be able to run with a remap but thats the problem i face like our CR-V but needs a bit more power even the wife wants it abit quicker lol

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    It will work but it will wear faster with no adverse risk to your engine. if both you want a quicker car different faster stock car in my opinion .

8. fastphil Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Phil United Kingdom
    but we like the size of the CR-V was going to get accord Type-S after selling my ATR but wife wanted a CR-V she one m looking at getting a S2000 for me to play with at weekend but she wants the CR-V uprated a we bit

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Track days she will learn how to extract that power, sometimes it investment in the driver which counts not the hardware.

10. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    @fastphil, I'd personally remap and use OEM clutch/flywheel for a daily driver. If you're going to be tracking the car, or giving it serious abuse in general I'd consider uprating. As CJ said, the extra stress from running such a set-up isn't worth the hassle, IMO.

It's really a pick your path scenario, deal with a faster wearing OEM clutch which may need replacement, or get an uprated clutch will cause faster wear on harder to replace components. It's up to you deciding what the lesser risk is.

For the record, lots of members are doing okay on the OEM clutch and remapped - very much depends on your driving style. It will wear quicker, but people such as @Brodziu are going strong with heavy mileage.

11. fastphil Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Phil United Kingdom
    not going to be tracking the car but do drive my cars hard if the OEM clutch can handle the extra power i will leave it be just know & see how she goes

12. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Put "motorsport" after anything on Civinfo and you'll have people climbing over each other to throw money away.

Ichiban, Beefy and SpeedyGee like this.
  13. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    You will get a different general opinion from this forum to CivInfo and so on. its not a witch hunt but you will find most people here would shy away from re-maps etc. there are many draw backs with re-maps and unfortunately its mainly due to the fact a standard engine is designed to handle only so much power. my view is you don't want a paddle clutch / single mass set up on a CR-V of all cars. its not really a performance car in most respects, size, weight, 4x4 etc. I would say have it mapped but to a level that will not cause to much stress on the clutch. it will most defiantly cause you to need a new clutch, but stick to standard. your not racing for red bull, you need to be able to live with the car.

14. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Let's not go bashing at other forums too much guys, they're all Honda owners after all and we have many of their members here and visa versa :Smile: