Engine & Gearbox CG Motorsport - no clutch slip solution?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Brodziu, Monday 3rd Feb, 2014.

1. Brodziu Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Greg Manchester
    Hi, guys, from time to time I'm looking at the CGM tread on civicinfo to see if they invited something better then 8 paddle clutch and SMF combo, as their presure plate seems is only grooved, so actually we're getting upgraded clutch disc and SMF, but today I've noticed that they made twin disc clutch, they claiming that it's capable to hold even 300% more power, what's your thoughts guys as for 1200 pounds fitted its not that bad.... here's the more info
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...073741830.277790352241664&type=1&l=8ce0ec3c85

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Research thoroughly on crank walk before you think this is best thing since slice bread.:Wink:

PeteMM likes this.
  3. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    I take it the crank walk you're talking about as a result of a possible 1200 pounds of torque not just from just having the clutch fitted?

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    If you get a clutch which has excessive clamping force that excessive energy has to go somewhere? I am in no illusion you go for a aftermarket clutch for the abuse you can give them whilst reclaiming all the horse power and deliver it the wheels.

No one who get these clutches get for pottering around ..its for canning it hard and its excessive energy starts to rip apart the STOCK crank and thrust washers which frankly was not designed for this abuse.

5. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I bet this new clutch is great in stop start London traffic.:Wink:

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  6. Brodziu Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Greg Manchester
    fortunately I don't need new clutch and I can wait for some reviews about this new one, but so far there is many reviews about their 8 paddle/SMF combo which seems to be good kit for tractors ;P

7. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    I was under the impression the 8 paddle clutches gave very little slip which made pulling away a bit all or nothing and gerky at low RPM.

CJ I get that most people who have this fitted are doing so so they can up the power and abuse their motors. But it's going to be that aggressive driving style and increased power which causes the float movement no the clamping force of the clutch. The clamping force of the clutch just acts on the fly wheel, right??

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The flywheel is attached to the crank isn't it so the excessive force is being applied to it .. The thrust washers are first to show sign of wear and you get the crank walk situation. You fixed the chocolate cultch issue but transferred the issue to another place.

9. Brodziu Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Greg Manchester
    unfortunately it's always like that with every part which is upgraded if you've more power then clutch will give up, if you upgrade clutch then drive shafts will give up, if you upgrade that then gearbox is next if not gearbox, then crank and so on... so if you decided to upgrade some part in your car then you need to be aware that there will be more wear on other part which is working together with upgraded...sad but true

10. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    I completely understand what both of you are saying, my thinking was in terms of the clutch and the increased clamping force would only apply itself to the flywheel. If you were then to continue to drive normally and without remapping the engine why would it create increased wear on the thrust washers? It would still slip on take up like the original so essentially you're just driving normally and wearing parts at the same rate aren't you? I'm looking at this from the point of view as the twin plate clutch being a direct replacement/ viable alternative if the original was to fail.

Or am I just missing something technically obvious?

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    TBH all I-CTDI are getting to their twilight years if people want to get rag the old girl till it eventually dies then go for it .. life too short not to have a speed bug.

12. Brodziu Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Greg Manchester
    obviously everything depends from your driving style and I'm not even talking about accord, but other cars with stronger clutch :Tongue: if you gonna rag it it will also die sooner or later :Wink:

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I drive my 2.4 without hanging about I make brisk and swift progress and after 94K it wanting a clutch soon the pedal position is high and it judders in first gear when it been canned all the tell tale signs its on it last legs. I can drag the old girl for another 10k before friction starts to take place. In this period I have been smoking Bavarian tractors and German curd all day long since 2007 ..will I get a aftermarket clutch kit HELL NO.. for what to have street kudos..:lol:

hell the front compliance bushes and drop links are still factory on Aspec suspension! nothing has been changed on the suspension till date!! why go aftermarket when you can adopt mechanical sympathy for the car.

My hero for speed and mechanical sympathy was Joey Dunlop the TT legend and a Honda racing legend his bikes when stripped amazed all the HRC engineers where amazed to find everything within clearance after each race where all the other Honda bikes not on the podium were cream cracked.

yes it does depend on your driving style but that can't be taught to people who don't strip stuff and see what their canning does to their cars and bikes.