Guides Change air filter on a Diesel i-CTDi Accord

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Ichiban, Sunday 28th Apr, 2013.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Just noticed this DIY is not covered by anyone till date. Anyone who does a air filter change please update this thread with actual pictures.
    • Open the air cleaner housing cover (A).
    • Remove the air cleaner (B) from the air cleaner housing (C).
    • Check the air cleaner element for damage or clogging. If there are damage or clogging, replace the air cleaner element.
    NOTE: Do not use compressed air to clean the air cleaner element. Install the parts in the reverse order of removal.

AOCUK i-CTDi Air Filter.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Can someone complete this DIY with actual pictures please ?

3. john_y Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Air Filter replacement - how to

Hi All,

I have got as far as locating the air filter on my 2005 accord 2.2 I-CDTI which is to the right of the engine block and seems to be mounted sideways on - double check is this correct please.

I loosened 3 bolts which don't completely remove from plastic and then tried to prise the 2 sections away from each other with a flat head screw driver.

This is where I struggled - should I have used more force, or undone more bolts?

Could someone give me some advice please.

Happy new year,

John

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Please search for your question before starting new topic I will fix the image now.

5. john_y Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi, thanks for the picture I think the filter is bigger than I thought and not mounted side onwards - what I thought was the base mounting was the top half opening?

John

- - - Updated - - -

Hi,

I managed to change it ok.
    Air filter is very small and potentially is a weakness in terms of the flow of air being sucked in by the turbo compressor through the air box and filter.
    I would appreciate any comments.

Best wishes,

John

6. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    What do you mean by weakness?

7. john_y Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

air flow into intake manifold is not as good as it could be

8. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Oh, that old chestnut, bigger air filters must be better. :Foolish:

Would Honda go to the time, trouble and expense to design and build an entire engine then knowingly put an air filter on the car which restricts the performance of the engine??? The simple answer is No!!

On various Civic and Accord forums there have been owners (in their ultimate wisdom as readers of car magazines such as max power) who have tried to experiment with different configurations of air filters and modifying the resonance chamber to try to extract more HP from the engine, in the ultimate belief that they know better than the engineers who designed the engine. After countless variations in set up, and hours of testing on rolling roads, the end result is Honda got it right and have come up with the best possible solution.

There was even an air filter developed in conjunction with K&N and another forum in the belief that a 'performance' air filter would increase HP as the air would flow better. And guess what - It didn't make any difference! Nothing but snake oil!

The air filter on the I-CTDI is the size it is because it's the optimum size for the engines needs. For example the air filter on a 1.6 diesel Focus is twice the size of the 2.2 I-CTDI. Does it need a bigger air filter for a smaller engine? Of course it doesn't. The only reason they have bigger air filters is so they can claim longer service intervals. But then when you do need to change the filter they charge you twice as much for it. There's more factors to consider in the size of an air filter than just the needs of the engine.

9. john_y Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I accept your points but there does seem to be limited room between the end of the engine block and fuses/ battery and I have rarely seen an air box of this shape.
    I bought the filter as it lasts longer not especially for performance reasons.
    In terms of Honda restricting performance many manufacturers package components - for example, if you compare polo 1.9 tdi pd100 and ibiza 1.9 tdi pd160 air intake 'trumpets' you will see one is a different shape and more restricting than the other.
    I think if I were looking for performance improvements I would fit something like BMC CDA

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    If you fit an aftermarket filter like BMC or K&N I can vouch you will lose power on the diesel accord .. the Civic diesel owners have done the test and were surprised to find the stock set up was the best.

if you have money to burn or what street cred kudos with shiny bits with stickers then I can't argue,..lastly there is no increase in engine growl its still rattles and hums like a diesel.

11. Topper Harley Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Power and diesel in the same sentence :lol:...............

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

I didn't say owt!! :Whistle:

13. john_y Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I used to think this was a friendly forum

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I still think it is bud.. you will get the correct advise and hear something things you don't want to hear. :Smile: There is no "Its will be fine go for it" nor the clicky corsa boys club.. just facts :Wink:

15. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    To an extent the shape of the air box is irrelevant it's the surface area of the filter which is important.

The only real upside to buying the K&N filter is it's reusable. So if you are planning on keeping the car long term then it will pay for itself. But if you bought it just to get a performance advantage then I fear you will be disappointed.

I completely understand your point about compromised air flow through trumpets etc. This is due to the mass production element of the vehicles. Tbh on the I-CTDI the intake manifold would be more restrictive due to it being a casting and mass produced. If you look at the inside of it it's not the most aerodynamic of designs.

If you want to try a BMC CDA then by all means give it a go. Do a before and after dyno run (on the same dyno) and let us know what sort of results you get.

As CJ has said the Civic boys (Civinfo.com) have covered this in great detail. If you have a day or two to spare (no joke there's dozens of pages of discussion on this) then take a read and give yourself a head start before you try any mods.

This is a friendly forum. As CJ has said were not going to encourage you to do things for the sake of it, or things others have already tried and failed at like some barry boy sites, and in the process waste time and money in doing it. The information given on this site is based on fact and accumulated knowledge not on speculation or ill-informed opinion so you won't get half a dozen different opinions and answers to the same question unlike a lot of other forums. Sometimes that may come across as members being forthright and saying 'do this' or 'don't do that' but I'd rather have that than be told 10 different opinions on how to undo a nut.

P.s There's also a healthy petrol diesel rivalry on this site which we do manage to keep friendly, there are the odd comments but it's all done in good fun. We've avoided descending into an all out petrol v diesel war which isn't bad going after 2 years. lol

Ichiban likes this.