Engine & Gearbox Change gearbox oil

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by jostree, Friday 30th Oct, 2015.

1. jostree Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Portugal jostree Lisboa
    I have an accord 2.0 with automatic gear and I want to change the oil of the gearbox, I wonder if I have to use genuine oil from honda or can i use another type of oil, in the dealership every liter are €30 maybe another kind of oil will be shipper. Can you recommend what oil should i use?
    Thank you.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    For automatic transmission fluid I would certainly stick with genuine Honda ATF.

It's not worth trying to save a few Euros here.

3. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Agree 100%, especially as it's an infrequent change so in the grand scheme of things it's not a long term increased expense.

4. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Genuine ATF all the way

Harvey likes this.
  5. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Genuine honda fluid here I am afraid. The gearbox has been designed to use it, I wouldn't use anything else.

6. jostree Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Portugal jostree Lisboa
    Thank you for your opinions, when I change the fluid I will use genuine honda fluid.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Not what you wanted to hear as the same fluid is mega expensive in Portugal as compared to here. I can sense the dismay in your last post. Sorry dude.

8. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I can understand that this isnt what you want to hear, but automatic gearboxes and particularly Honda ones are designed to be used with a specific fluid or they do not work properly, Take Eric The Car Guy on youtube, he specifically says the same on any gearbox oil he changes on automatic Hondas for the simple reason that any other oil could cause problems, with it not shifting properly.

9. jostree Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Portugal jostree Lisboa
    It´s better to spent more money in the fluid than in a new gearbox :Smile:.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Because it`s the first time that I will change the fluid I was looking for some information about another kind of fluid, and like I said the honda fluid in Portugal it´s a bit expensive.

Ichiban likes this.
  10. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    What kind of price difference are we talking about here?

11. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Would it be cheaper to buy from abroad or is shipping cost make it uneconomical?

Harvey likes this.
  12. jostree Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Portugal jostree Lisboa
    I can search in ebay but I don´t now that fluid is really genuine.Do you now how many liters are needed to change the fluid?

13. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    If your just changing draining and refilling its around 2.5 litres, so you will need 3x 1 litre bottles.

I have bought MTF fluid from ebay but they were all from dealers, so I guess it depends on seller.

14. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

And according to the shell oils website the auto box takes 6 litres, I don't have the owners manual to hand to find the quantities in there. Shell are obviously going to recommend their own products which in this case is their spirax at.

Also how are you going to change the fluid, just out of interest, and when you do, be sure to take lots of photos, so that a guide can be written. Hondaoil.

exec likes this.
  15. jostree Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Portugal jostree Lisboa
    What is the other option besides changing draining and refilling?

16. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    The other option is rebuilding the box, which you aren't doing of course, that needs over 6l of oil, the oil is located in other parts of the box.

Harvey likes this.
  17. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

This will help, but even he uses Honda ATF

exec likes this.
  18. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Yeh would defo use Honda ATF and nothing else, Honda's gearboxes are designed and made by themselves and require their own fluid, you will get shifting issues and jerkiness from other brands and probably lessen the life of the box.

Harvey likes this.
  19. jostree Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Portugal jostree Lisboa
    I´m now looking for honda ATF, and I found ATF cheaper in the UK.

Harvey likes this.
  20. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The only thing with that, is delivery costs. Would it not be cheaper in Spain though?