General Change of heart - for the better!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rayhoop, Monday 4th Nov, 2013.

1. rayhoop Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Keerat Amersham
    My 7 Gen ICTDI is coming up to 168k miles and for the past year it has been feeling unloved. Don't get me wrong, it has still be serviced etc, but I was slowly loosing confidence in the old donkey.

However - after a summer of trying to see if it would break under some heavy abuse, I have inadvertedly given it a ruddy good italian tune up... It is running great! I must have free'd up the variable veins on the turbo or blown out some crud or something...

I'm now thinking to spend a few quid on her and see if I can get her to last a fair bit longer. The way I see it... if I replace her with a used car (£5-10k), I'll still end up with 'middleaged-car' maintenance bills. If I want care free (less maintenance in theory) motoring in a newer car I'd be looking at £15k+

Hence a few quid on the old Donkey doesnt sound like a bad idea.

List of things I want to sort:

Definately:
    Honda Service (check software updates/recalls etc)
    Alternator belt + bearings
    Intake runner valve (P2004 error)
    Play in inner steering arm joint (off side) - noted as advisory during MOT & the steering vagueness is obvious when driving.
    Wheel refurb (17' Epsilions) - tyres are not sealing properly due to corrosion. Proper strip/blast/repair/powder coat job.. but also tempted to get them diamond cut.. but I know that would not be sensible.

Probably also:
    Air con service
    Sat Nav DVD refurb
    HVAC display fix (diy)

Possibly:
    Injector calibration check...
    New bushes, tie rod ends. ball joints up front
    Suspension (shocks + lowering springs, or coilovers... depends on price - but no 'ebay special' coilovers etc)
    Basic body work to tidy up paint and scrub away any rust etc (underside of bonnet, and light amount around jacking points under the car).

I've ordered some BG244 which I will run through the system before I send it in for a service (and poss injector calibration).

Lets hope she appriciates the love!

2. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Definitely get an injector calibration it will make a world of difference!

3. declanswan Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

You know your doing the right thing.

4. declanswan Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

What does the injector calibaration do ?? Do all 7th Generation's over a certain mileage benefit from it ??

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Just search for doc post he had his calibration done.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Rayhoop that is a comprehensive list bud, and TBH you will be getting more out of the car if you are sure that timing\oil pump chain won't snap.

Has it been changed on your car? if it has then you could justify the expense otherwise you want to get the timing chain replaced if you want to more usage out of the car fella.

Its just common sense, seen this far too often spending money on I-CTDI is as bad is throwing money on a open fire.

7. rayhoop Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Keerat Amersham

Yup, it is a fair old list.

The car has had the following.

EGR + Exhaust manifold in Nov 2009 (approx 90k miles?) - no cost for either
    Timing + oil chain + gubbins, exhaust manifold (again) and new turbo in Feb/March 2010 (approx 110k miles) - I only paid £458 + vat in total (heavily subsidised turbo parts courtesy of Honda UK due to the pain the dealership put me through).
    Drop links and lower front bushes in Nov 2011 - full price
    New Clutch and DMF May 2012 (plus all fluids flushed - brake, gbox, clutch, coolant) - Honda parts but fitted by Japex
    New fuel filter Feb 2013 - eventually Honda part, fitted by me.

Worst case - I could get a new set of chains when I get closer to 200k miles and have Japex do the honours for me. The original set lasted 110k, I'm sure the new set will last longer especially with the revised injectors that were fitted to prevent excessive soot build up in the oil.

Rear brakes are new honda items (earlier this year). Fronts have a fair bit of life in them and I have a set of Honda front discs/pads ready to go on when required. It has been pampered services wise. Initially as per Honda specified timings, more recently oil+filter changes every 6-9 months or max 12k miles.

I think I'll approach with caution - do the service, aux belt+alt bearings, injector cal and steering rack play intially. I'll see how it sounds with the new belt/bearings and drives with the injector cal and steering play removed. If I continue to have confidence then I'll start stock piling suspension parts for a refresh (helps spread the cost too).

P2004 error - I'll try to give the little filter a clean myself (if poss). It is just a niggle, not too big a deal.
    Wheel refurb. BVJ engineering is not far from me, they do a full strip/repair/powdercoat for around £200. I'll see if I can put this off till the tyres need changing (summer time?). I'll keep topping up the air in the mean time.

Sat Nav DVD - I might skip it... I don't use the Nav. The AC/Radio etc display still works when you press the button. It is just that i cannot adjust the clock - £160 is a little steep to be able to adjust the clock again lol! The HVAC I am going to fix myself, as I want to be able to see the clock with the incorrect time lol - I want to see the AC temp/radio station etc without having to thump the dash.

I think she will appriciate it. Especially if I actually give her a clay/polish/wax! I've never polished this car in the 6 years I've owned it... shocking - especially for me. But to be honest I don't see a clay/polish/wax happening any time soon as the twins are keeping us very busy at home!

8. rayhoop Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Keerat Amersham
    Hm

So a change of heart again! the girl is now on ebay...

I got half way through pampering her:

Honda service, new aux belt, air con service
    Sent her in for an inspection of the suspension etc - the garage only found a bit of adjustment of the steering rack required (done) - bushes and ball joints etc gave no cause for concern

I was about to get onto the body work/wheel refurb and decided I think I'd rather sell up and buy myself something smaller, a bit more fun and.... petrol powered *gasp*

A well kept potential bargain to be had - the auction has reached the £500 reserve etc. MOT and Tax till October 2014. I've placed a link to the auction in the ebay links section if anyone is interested.

Will be sad to see the old Donkey go..

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You have had a great run with her bud, you are right to send it to old age diesel nursing home now.. :Rolf:

Place the link in the ebay forum in the sales section bud.. which petrol car are you planning to get?

EDIT just checked you have already started that thread.

10. rayhoop Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Keerat Amersham
    Yup - the Donkey has served me very well.

I was hankering after a 2nd Generation Golf GTI, but logic dictates I don't have the time to keep on top of an 'old' car.

I then switched my mind to a Civic Type-R (FN2)... but felt the character of the car would not suit me as a daily drive/commuter car (ride quality, having to work the engine), plus the Mrs doesnt like the rear view being blocked by the spoiler (doesnt bother me).

So.. I'm now actively tracking down a 5th Generation Golf GTI Edition 30 or Pirelli Edition, as they come with the BYD engine which is very similar to the Audi S3 engine and runs a K04 turbo. Internals are stronger than the standard GTI + bigger intercooler + high flow injectors + 15mm lower suspension. A simple £500 remap takes them up to 305bhp... a few bolt ons (expensive) later and you can be touching 400hp (not that I'd want to take it that far).

It must be a manual gearbox car, not fussed about the number of doors, but colour must not be red or white. The DSG is a great box, I have it in my VW Sharan, but on a car that is a bit older and likely to have been driven hard, I don't want the potential of £4k worth of mechatronics failure on my hands. Where as a manual gearbox is simple to replace the clutch/rebuild the box etc if needed. The Sharan was virtually new when I bought it and I'll stay on top of the DSG oil changes etc... plus it gets driven gently - so not too concerned.

So - lets see how much the Accord gets... bidding currently sitting at just over £900.