General Change one tyre or both?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chunkylover53, Monday 7th Jul, 2014.

1. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I managed to drive over a shard of metal outside a house that was being renovated. Don't mind too much as the tyre that was on the front cost £35 and I was planning on a change anyway so I ordered 1 Dunlop BluResponse - its got excellent reviews with the only issue being wear which I don't care about too much.

I've got the fitting on Wednesday but I recall advice that tyres should be changed in pairs? Is this true, any advantages etc?
    I wouldn't mind changing the other front tyre but its going to eat nicely into my summer budget, believe it or not tyres weren't on that list.

So do I change the front pair or just the blown tyre?
  2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I would certainly change both.

You'll end up with a spare tyre then but if its still in good condition, you could easily ebay it and get some cash for it.
  3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Regarding tyres not being on your purchase list, just think how important tyres are, they are the only contact between you and the road.
  4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Agree with @SpeedyGee . Change both. Safer too. Sell more bands to make some £'s
  5. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Right - going to order another then. Thanks for the advice.

Going to scrap the old tyres though, wouldn't want them back on the road anyway.

@Nels The bands are going too quickly, no wholesaler in the UK has constant stock so I've got small toy stores buying loads off me which I didn't expect. Still waiting on another 5000 from HK supplier.
  6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I'm sure an entrepreneur like you will find something else ! :Wink:
    At least you will be safer with a pair of new tyres.
    Chunkylover53 likes this.
  7. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Got em both changed. WHAT A DIFFERENCE - before I was experiencing:
    - Slipping at corners/roundabouts
    - Loud motorway noise
    - Foot down from 1st gear results in slipping
    - Loss of traction when sharp braking
    - Tough steering at lower speeds (under 20mph - genuinely thought the power steering rack was on its way out!)

So far with the Dunlop BluResponse tyres all the issues have been eradicated which has resulted in a much more surefooted drive which means I can safely VTEC more often :Smile:
    On top of that braking distance seems to be reduced - I've only ever once had to do a proper sudden brake with engine braking but I don't plan on testing that again till its required.

Only downside I have found so far is the soft sidewall means that I have to be extra careful round kerbs and the like. So far I haven't noticed the car feeling wobbly when taking quicker corners but maybe it is something which I got used to with my old budget tyres :Blink:

Either way at £67.50 each I'm extremely happy with them.
  8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    That sounds like the same stark difference I saw them swapping my '03s tyres for the first time. Good to hear mate, at the risk of repeating everyone here - tyres are probably the one area you should never skimp (together with brakes).
    Chunkylover53 likes this.
  9. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Too right - its scares me that before I was driving with old EuroCarParts brakes with £35 tyres. Fast forward to now and I have all genuine brakes + front tyres are good
    SpeedyGee and DeviateDefiant like this.
  10. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Really pleased that you are happier, but more importantly, safer. Decent quality makes a huge difference.
    FirstHonda and Chunkylover53 like this.
  11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I on the other hand bud rotate my tyres every 10k miles and replace all four of them so all the four wheels have fresh rubber and the car behaves and handles like a new car.
    John Dickson likes this.
  12. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I do the same mate. People think I'm daft for wearing out four tyres at the same time but I always change all four.

Tyres don't have to be low on tread to not perform properly. Rubber ages, cracks and hardens and therefore doesn't grip as well as is should/could even if there is still more than legal limit of tread left.

Had a Micra years ago, 66k on original OEM Dunlop SP9s with 4mm tread left. Hit standing water at 55-60 and aquaplaned. Straight in for new tyres after that it was like a brand new car just for 4 new tyres.
    Ichiban, FirstHonda and Nels like this.
  13. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Well said both of you.
  14. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^+1 :GoodJob: