Suspension, Steering and Brakes Changed discs and pads today

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Old Cruiser, Tuesday 5th May, 2015.

1. Old Cruiser Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

pete slough
    Changed the Discs and pads today with genuine parts from HH (good service there by the way) and what a fright at first got to the end of my road and didn't think the car was gonna stop!! done a few sharpish braking and letting off before coming to a complete stop to help them all bed in and seem to be getting there as it were, but as said what a fright initially!!LOL how long do the genuine ones tend to take before they're pretty much bed in?
    Cheers Pete
    - - - Updated - - -
    To the above It was only the fronts I changed

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

A good job done there Pete. :Niceone: Yes, @Holdcroft Honda are first class.
    Did you clean the disc surfaces before use?
    What were the caliper pistons like?
    Did you bleed the system ?

Honda usually say avoid heavy braking for the first 200 miles. I have to say, when I changed them on my 7th Generation, they were sharp from the start.

iceman likes this.
  3. Old Cruiser Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

pete slough
    Discs were cleaned thoroughly mate didn't mess about there, pistons appeared ok and moved back real easy to accommodate the new pads , only had to move them in about a couple of mm as the old pads were still like new ( although crap quality I think!! didn't bleed the system on this occasion.
    Cheers Pete

4. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    It does take a little while for the pads and discs to bed against each other, after a week or so of normal driving, the car should be stopping just fine. When I did the discs and pads on the wifes Civic, I drove it for a week just to bed them in as I know what she is like and she would have hit something :blush:

5. Old Cruiser Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

pete slough
    Cheers mate ,What I did notice was the inner pads had a rotation arrow on them so made sure that was facing downwards so in effect towards direction of forward rotation can't say I've come across pads with those markings before!!

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Did you pump the brakes (when stationary and engine switched off), right after you changed the pads ?

7. Old Cruiser Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

pete slough
    I did indeed mate and again once car was started, done a bit more driving around this afternoon and braking much better now already.
    Cheers Pete

8. Old Cruiser Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

pete slough
    Thanks for all your inputs guys , the brakes seem to be improving all the time, in fact this morning I'd say they are almost where they should be , only thing I have noticed is that there seems to be a very very slight wheel wobble (barely noticeable ) at speed (not when braking now! thankfully) whereas I'm sure there was nothing before doing the discs, only had new tyres on 2 weeks ago and properly balanced , maybe it's me being paranoid and it's the same as it was, this is the trouble with doing some work on the car afterwards it 's a case of was it doing that before!! mind you I would have thought if there really was an issue then I'd notice that under braking which I'm not at least not at the moment!!LOL, cars eh who'd have 'em! what a state to get into eh!! also noticed the Discs supplied by HH had no Honda stamps or marking apart from the edge/vents being painted black, anyone know who is making these for Honda ?
    Cheers Pete

9. wahabishtiaq Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Wahab Ish hemel hempstead
    I have done my front brake pads and painted callipers. I just noticed that i placed the pin wrong way, mean it is clipping behind the holder rather than above the holder. Will change it tomorrow.

My breaks are also soft, taking longer to response. What i noticed is even pumping it repeatedly makes it hard and if u hold the padal it starts dropping to floor. Likewise while driving when i apply brake, it is a slow response and paddle goes lower then what it used to be before.

while pressing piston in with big plies notices an oil overflow from the brake oil reservoir? please advise if anything sounds unusual.

thanks

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

As the pads wear the level in the break fluid drops but if you then go and top this up, the next time you go to replace the pads, you push/wind the caliper back it, it wil loverflow the reservoir.

11. wahabishtiaq Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Speedy thanks for your reply. Thats i assume is not a concern, Am i correct?

What about slow response of brakes is it normal? This is the first time i did brakes me self, so a bit worried.

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Not a concern no.

Spongy brakes, most likely this is down to air trapped in the fluid. Try bleeding the brakes.

13. wahabishtiaq Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

thanks mate. I was thinking to do clutch oil change as well. i assume its the same edit 4 oil for both brake and clutch?

14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

That's correct !

15. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    CJ also previously advised with brakes if you do a few emergency stops as it helps remove any glaze on them. Worked for my CR-V :Smile:

A little point about brake fluid, as said when the pads wear the fluid will start to drop but a lot of people tend to top it up. There's no need to do this so long as it doesn't go below minimum as it's a good indication of brake pad wear and to start checking the pads visually. Obviously it could also mean a leak! lol

Busa1340r likes this.
  16. Busa1340r Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Yate
    Whilst there is no concern there regarding the operation of the brakes, you should wash any excess brake fluid away using copious amounts of clean/cold water to prevent the paint lifting on your bulkhead or inner wings. Probably best to cover the reservoir itself with a small plastic bag to prevent water getting in to the fluid inside the reservoir.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Are the wheel nuts properly torqued up?

Is it possible that a wheel weight may have fallen off (or slipped around the rim if the knock on type)?

17. wahabishtiaq Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

A quick update guys,
    Yesterday i pinned the calipers wrong so was causing the front pads sort of sagging which was causing the outer part disc in contact but not the inner.

So had to remove the wheels and re do the spring pin and put it correctly. Drove it afters and it was major difference already.
    Just noticing that brakes are getting hot more than usual, hopefully once bed properly it will cool down.